Barefoot Runners

Hallucination 100 Race Report- 100 miles in Vibrams (Read 288 times)

Professional Antagonist

Hey guys!  Here's my race report for the Hallucination 100 mile race run this last weekend.  Enjoy!

http://barefootjason.blogspot.com/2009/09/hallucination-100-mile-endurance-run.html

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

Great report and congrats on an awesome achievement.  100 miles is a haul anywhere, but on the Potto it's even more difficult. I know exactly the stretch of rocky pain you're referencing.  I think the map of the area even has a warning sign, serious hills on it.

A couple of questions I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

1. How are you feeling now?

2. Specifically, how are the feet holding up, bruised at all?

3. How much did you try to run barefoot? You mention a short part, but I imagine ripping off the VFF and socks every 10 miles gets exhausting.

Again, a huge congrats, very inspiring. 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Professional Antagonist

1. How are you feeling now?

Pretty good, actually.  I could run today, but will probably wait until tomorrow.  My feet are still slightly swollen, which is typical after runs of 40+ miles.  The soreness of other muscles has dissipated.

2. Specifically, how are the feet holding up, bruised at all?

My feet were pretty good, I didn't get any bruising.  I clipped rocks or roots a few times with my right pinky toe, so it was a little sore for a day or two.  Otherwise, they're doing pretty well. 

3. How much did you try to run barefoot? You mention a short part, but I imagine ripping off the VFF and socks every 10 miles gets exhausting.

I think I totaled about 2.5-3 miles barefoot immediately before and after the start/finish (for three of the six laps).  I was temped to tackle one of the north legs barefoot, but my crew ultimately nixed the idea.  I still think I could have handled it.

The hills weren't as tough as I expected late in the race.  Downhills became difficult due to knee pain, but the uphills were good throughout.  I can't wait to get back there next year!

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

pitrunner

Incredibly inspiring!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
          wanderingoutlaw

Enjoyed reading your report--I love reading ultramarathon race reports.  Congrats on finishing your first 100 miler

John