Barefoot Runners

for beginning (Read 490 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

If I run 7 to 12 miles typically (in shoes), what would be a reasonable amount to throw in some barefoot? Say 0.2 miles per day to start? Also, is it better to do it at the beginning of a run, middle, or end after warming up?

thanks

I say do what feels right. My first barefoot run was 1.5 miles. I got blisters, but it was fun. It really is a personal thing. Try some on grass and see how it goes. I would suggest doing it at the end of the run, so that you don't miss a run because you did too much.

Certifiably Insane

Start with just a little, maybe 0.25 or so at the end your run if it's comfortable enough to do it. Don't overdo it the first time, even if it feels OK. The real test will be walking around the next day. Pay attention to how your feet feel. If they're really sore, you'll have to do less BF next time. (Not the next day. Don't do BF running more than every other day when you're first starting out.) If they're a little sore, but not bad, you did about the right amount. Do the same amount every other day until you hit the next stage. If your feet feel great the next day, you can safely do a little more the next time. Give yourself plenty of time to get used to it, and to get comfortable with your new stride if it changed.
        On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
        jeffdonahue

Start with just a little, maybe 0.25 or so at the end your run if it's comfortable enough to do it. Don't overdo it the first time, even if it feels OK. The real test will be walking around the next day. Pay attention to how your feet feel. If they're really sore, you'll have to do less BF next time. (Not the next day. Don't do BF running more than every other day when you're first starting out.) If they're a little sore, but not bad, you did about the right amount. Do the same amount every other day until you hit the next stage. If your feet feel great the next day, you can safely do a little more the next time. Give yourself plenty of time to get used to it, and to get comfortable with your new stride if it changed.

+1 on this.

I can just go out and do a 3-4 mile barefoot run and it feels great but the next day (and for several after that usually) the tops of my feet would hurt pretty bad.  Those muscles are small and very easy to overtax when you are starting out.  Hence the reason I have had to restart a few times 

northernman

Fight The Future

OK, thanks for the tips.

Today after 11 miles, I did about 0.5 in just socks (not sure they allow bare feet inside, and it's cold outside, baby). It actually felt very natural. I do all of my running following the ChiRunning style, so maybe that helped a bit. The main thing I noticed was that my Achilles tendons are very tight when I don't have the big heels of my shoes there. I think this will help stretch them out a bit, so am looking forward to more. 

Huaraches Maker

I tell people: go barefoot, on a hard smooth surface (bike path, e.g.)... when you think "Maybe I'll just do a little more" STOP!

You will, no doubt, overdo it at least once in your first 5 runs. But once you do that once or twice, you'll learn to listen to that little voice and STOP.

There's also a good chance your calves will be sore after your first few runs... let them totally heal before you go out again.

My $0.02

Imminent Catastrophe

...when you think "Maybe I'll just do a little more" STOP!

Heh. That's good advice for a lot of things in life.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016