Barefoot Runners

Running in socks (Read 1145 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thought I'd mention here that I started using socks after reading "Plain Old Socks Saved the Day" in the Vibrams section of BF Ken Bob's book. Quoting Michae Legault "you've truly arrived ... when you can run in the same old pair of socks forever", meaning that you have the right light gentle landing form. It took Michae 18 months to achieve that goal.

It being cold this morning, low 40's with light wind, and wanting to hit the gravel trail again, I decided to try it with socks. Did 3.8 mi total and had a hole in heel of the right sock (I think - forgot the order I took them off...sigh). The other was dirty but looked fine. So it looks like I am landing lightly on one foot and not the other. Need to work on that. But not a bad feeling. I took the socks off for the last 1/4 mi home to see how cold the ground felt and it was cold enough that I probably would have had trouble with the gravel.

I was able to do the complete .2mi gravel trail while in the socks. Didn't use flashlight so ran with ambient light and it wasn't bad. Deepened squat, used short rapid strides and it wasn't that bad. Hit a couple of big rocks and feet would kind of roll off as soon as it was felt. A couple of small sharp ones stung tho but not to make one cry out. Feet being warmer in the socks than when I tried full BF probably a factor. 

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

Sounds like that would be a very good test of running form - running in just socks (well, and shorts too - that would be a different type of test!).  I may try that on a uniform surface like asphalt to see what the results are.  I know that since going from shod to BF my form has improved quite a bit.  But I sometimes wonder if discrepancies in so-called "form" (barefoot or shod) could be nature's way of compensating for some other physical body imbalance we may be unaware of?  I try not to over think things (maybe I failed here!). Confused

Since we're on the subject of trails too, I started my 5M trail run yesterday in Hattori's.  On the way back I decided for some stupid reason to do the last 1.4M loop completely BF.  Stupid because the trail is fairly technical with lots of sharp turns, leaves hiding lots of roots, sticks, pine cones, and other debris, as well as short but steep inclines and declines in and out of ravines.  I planned to stop after a short distance when I had to and put my shoes back on. Well, I completed the entire loop BF without injury (gasp!) although my pace was somewhere between walking and jogging. Now I'm worried more about picking up my speed next time I do this, rather than stepping on stuff. So it can be done!

MTA: My feet have learned to compensate for a lot of "road debris" that they wouldn't have when I was first starting out with barefooting... 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Well it was dark out and well before sunrise so there was no need for shirt or shorts!Shocked

Coming home tonight I realized there is a gravel grade school track near my house. I might drive over there and run with socks sometime next week, with shirt and shorts as well since it is a grade school...

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

2 easy miles walking in socks this morning, no holes. Wind chill in mid 30's, no trail run, all concrete sidewalk.

bob e v

Marylander

Half Fanatic #846

Camo disposable (good for several outings) cans of spray-on foot treads would be cool!  And they would be the perfect size as well. 

Probably not. Sad 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I wonder...

BF Ken Bob talks about a guy who did that includes pictures. Of course he likes pure BF. Doesn't like anything between his feet and the ground.

bob e v

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

added 3.7 concrete sidewalk miles to the New Balance winter wt running socks w/o holes. Checked every mile. Total of 5.9 concrete sidewalk mi on them now. Am thinking I shouldn't throw them into the washer yet - may weaken them. Might hand wash at 20 mi if I get that far. Temps were 29F, no wind and feet felt really good. Left big toe got a little numb in first mi then warmed up and neither foot felt cold the rest of the run. Better than in shoes - think because no sweating from being closed in.

bob e v

Half Fanatic #846

I was going to suggest that you add "socks" to your equipment list, but I see that you already have! (5 cents/mile is pretty cheap).

Socks are gonna be my go to cold weather gear now for barefooting. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I'm thinking of splitting it into two listings, one for dreadmill sock miles, then the other as sock-1 until they hole up. I don't expect dreadmill to put holes so won't differentiate between pairs of dreadmill socks but probably should for street/trail running. And another entry for trail socks.

It was warm this morning so I ran full BF and did the .2mi crushed gravel trail. Not bad, not perfect but not to bad. No complaints from feet afterward either. The rapid turnover, short stride, deeping squat seemed to help quite a bit. Especially in keeping me going thru the larger stone section!

bob e v

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Well holed the first pair of socks this morning at just under 10mi. Rt sock had small hole in ball of foot, and quarter size on the heel, about the size of clean spot I see on heel after BF run. I did increase the amount of asphalt running I did this last 4mi. About equal between concrete and asphalt. not sure how much of a difference that made. Will do next pair more exclusively on asphalt to see the difference.  An interesting note is that feet feel warmer, more comfortable, after warm up than I recall they did in shoes on the really cold days. Could be because they are not sweating in those coffins! I adjusted my equipment journal to reflect unique pairs of socks so I can track actual mileage.

bob e v

Sorry if I missed this in all the text, but have you run in the wetness at all? Whether it was through a puddle (or in your case a salty slush puddle), or after a rain, or any other time they may get wet?

If not, what do you plan to do in those scenarios? 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Rob - we don't get slush here in Austin. I ran on wet concrete where folks sprinklers had soaked it, also areas where it was still wet after a storm. Could feel the feet get wet and cooler and was concerned about them getting all wrinkled up. Was surprised after that run to find that feet were fine. The socks seemed to dry out from all the compression although I'm not sure how it would turn out if it was raining or full of puddles. I did finish on dry concrete. Wish I had more experience with them for ya but have only gone thru the one pair so far.

bob e v

Thanks for the info you did provide. I tried running in socks a few years ago and burned through a pair every 2 runs or so. It's possible I was creating a lot more friction, but I'm sure that the constant wetness up here in Michigan didn't help out with that at all.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Marylander

If you like to spend money:
                                socks to be worn without shoes