Barefoot Runners

Bikilias - initial thoughts (Read 1041 times)

Eternal Rookie

<font>My first FF were Sprints because that’s all I could find locally, then I got a pair of KSOs. Both only made it about 150 miles before I had holes in some of the toes and the shoe goo came out. I couldn’t find the Bikilias locally so I ordered them on line and I have mixed feelings. One of the things that I liked about the Sprints and KSOs was that they don’t have those tall heel counter that running shoes have; the Bikilias do. They were also supposed to be seamless, but they put a 3 quarter liner in them, which created seams. I don’t know what the uppers are made of, but they don’t seem as breathable as the other two. The upper area where you put your foot in is fixed. It doesn’t stretch. </font>

<font> </font>

<font>Anyhow, I took them out for an easy 4 miler and they felt great, for 3. Then the heal counter (which I suspect is there to keep the shoe from slipping off your foot since there’s no way to tighten the heal like the others) started rubbing and I could feel it pushing into my Achilles during the toe off. Then I started getting a blister, you guessed it, where the liner ends. The blister wasn’t too bad, wore socks and shoes for a couple of days and then went out for another 4 miler, both were at an easy 8 minute pace. Same thing, felt good running in them, but the heal was loose and I suspect if I wore them on a medium or long run, there’d be blisters again from the seams. </font>

<font> </font>

<font>It’s like they tried too hard to make them like traditional running shoes and added the stuff that I hate about those shoes. But they do feel good when they’re not rubbing me the wrong way…</font>

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

My DW bought me a pair as a gift when we moved from Fort Worth to Austin. I have 50+ mi on them and have not had those problems. They are my first VFF's and I am a slow jogger which may be in my favor. I bought a pair of huaraches but haven't assembled them yet.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Eternal Rookie

Don't get me wrong, I think/hope they nailed the lower, I just wish that the upper was more minimal. And, for what it is worth, I blistered with the other shoes on longer runs, but it was mainly from having the "bindings" too tight.

I have decided that VFFs are more of a gimmick than a minimalist running shoe.

I have 34 miles on my Bikilas and love them. I was running in a pair of KSO, and for me the thicker sole of the Bikila is much better for the trails I run on.

Vanessa_Speak

I'm into running and I thought minimalist shoes are great. I just bought a pair of BIkilas and Classic last month from this site http://barefootrunningshoes.org/vibram-fivefingers/men/fivefingers-bikila-men/ since they give big discount if you buy more than two pair of Vibrams  In terms of comfort and convenience, I must say they're awesome. It's like a gloves because it's light and flexible. It's really worth the purchase.Smile

Eternal Rookie

Update: Took the Bikilas out for an 8 miler and didn’t have any problems. Still don’t like the high heal counter, and the fixed collar (or whatever it’s called) makes it a pain to put them on; but they do feel good on the run. Seeing some wear on a few of the pads and that has me concerned.

I have 227 miles on my Bikilas and I still LOVE them!   125 and 192 on my 2 pair of KSO's.  I ran in some KSO's the other day for the first time in awhile and I can really tell the difference in the thickness of the soles.  I felt more barefoot in the KSO's than the Bikilas. 

I'm getting up past 10 miles on my long runs now and the soles (ball) of my feet are killing me around 9 miles.  I'm having to wear my old Asics now for my long runs.  I'm looking into getting a pair of Saucony Grid A4's.  I can't find any minimal shoes in the stores.  They are all to cushy and have too high of a heel lift for me. 

lvleph, I don't know how you can get any more minimal than a VFF besides barefoot.  Gimmick?  I don't think so.   Do you think it's because of the toes?  I can really tell the difference when my toes are free than having them smooshed together in a pair of runners.   It really makes a difference.  I'm a BFF of the VFF!! 

More minimal than VFF? Well, Huaraches. Gimmicky because of the toes.

I have had 3 pairs of VFFs, and at first I liked them, but was always annoyed at the PIA way you have to put them on. Not only that but, There were always little seems rubbing some where. Overall, I found them to be more of a hassle than they were worth.

aren't Huaraches basically the same thing only an exposed upper foot?  Your toes are still free to spread out and feel the ground just like VFFs.   The sole is still the same.    The toes are what is so great to me in the VFF's.  Because I don't want to run barefoot or in Huaraches, VFF's are the next best thing "because" of those toes!   

Not anything really to add other than I bought my first pair of Vibrams though not the Bikilas ( I got the treksport since plan on using them for the technical trails I run) and I absolutely LOVE them!!  Did 3 miles the first day and 5 the day after and absolutely no soreness or any other issue's *knock on wood*

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

aren't Huaraches basically the same thing only an exposed upper foot?  Your toes are still free to spread out and feel the ground just like VFFs.   The sole is still the same.    The toes are what is so great to me in the VFF's.  Because I don't want to run barefoot or in Huaraches, VFF's are the next best thing "because" of those toes!   

I'm running in both huaraches and Vibram KSOs (as you can see).  Not at the same time. Smile  They are different beasts.  I really think running in the huaraches is more fun, but I'm having some issues with the cords and chafing.

MTA: I like the Vibrams, too!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One additional Bikila thought:  I hadn't realized until recently who their namesake was: Abebe Bikila, who won the 1960 Olympic marathon barefoot.

Queen of 3rd Place

Run-a-mocs: just as roomy for the toes as could be, I can move mine completely freely (like running shoes, buy 1/2 size up). Only 2 mm of vibram in the sole, so in that sense more minimal than the VFFs and I think about the same as the huaraches.

Ex runner