Barefoot Runners

ChiRunning -- the perfect partner to getting better barefoot form (Read 502 times)

I'll admit it, I'm in love with ChiRunning.  I feel as though it's been a formalization of how my form was progressing naturally while barefooting.  The book presents physical exercises, thought exercises, and sequential lessons to progress you along. 

It also focuses exactly where barefooting is supposed to, "bodysensing", which is in essence is simply telling you to observer your body, feel what's happening, and adjust accordingly. Barefeet are perfect for that!  They also stress being absolutely relaxed.  All of the matra's line up perfectly for how I'd like to be able to run barefoot.

Here are the key points:

1. Pick up your feet instead of pushing off.  You are propelled forward by a slight lean (1" - 4") depending on your desired speed.

2. Keep your cadence at 180 steps per minute regardless of your desired speed.

3. To increase speed, increase your lean forward and your stride length.

4. Stay absolutely relaxed and observe your body.

5. Gradual progress -- you don't just start trying to be a Chi Running master, you ease your way there through a series of exercises, over months.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Thoughts? I'd love to hear them.  I've only been doing it for about 2.5 weeks or so and am through about 4 of 10 lessons.  I've been taking my time and adapting.  It really feels like the perfect barefooting tutorial.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jeffdonahue

I actually just started reading the book last night - hoping it will help me transition to BF fully eventually.
        I'd love to hear what you think, and how you're progressing.  I'm not aware of anyone else who is going through the process. Although I haven't exactly inquired...

Professional Antagonist

I read the book early in my barefoot days... the sections on technique and form were very helpful.  I have since deviated from a few elements of ChiRunning, but still recommend it to new barefoot runners. 

I wasn't a fan of the "Chi" part of the book... it was a little too "New Age" for me.  Still, a great read!

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

I discovered Chi Running before BF running, and while my BF running development is still in infancy, I feel like I've really mastered my Chi technique.  It was through Chi Running that I developed a dislike for stiff shoes, and I gradually came to prefer lighter and lighter shoes. I also moved further and further away from landing on my heels.  Since most running shoes are all about the heel crash pad and the "stability" mechanism in the middle, I think Chi Running was the seed of my dissatisfaction with shoes.

I wasn't a fan of the "Chi" part of the book... it was a little too "New Age" for me.  Still, a great read!

Same here.  My B.S. alarm kept going off. 

Same here.  My B.S. alarm kept going off. 

Yeah I agree. I'm not reading it for the Chi part, so much as the Running part.

I won't be channeling anything but me.

Half Fanatic #846

I ordered the book last night.  Hopefully I'll be able to improve form and prevent injury. 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

BFbryce

I'm a big fan of the ChiRunning.  I started with it a couple years ago, long before trying BF.  I never could get the right posture or cadence it teaches, but I liked the approach.  Once I started BF it all kind of fell into place - the two techniques mesh together very well.   I particularly like the joint/ligament looseners - I'm not a big fan of stretching so I do those exercises intstead before each run.

I actually found the DVD to be more useful than the book - but I'm a more visual person.  Some really good demonstrations of how the lean/cadence/stride lengh fit together with speed.  Of course the chi aspects are still kinda corny...

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yes, that book was what first got me interested in learning to run better.  It helped quite a bit, but it wasn't until I tried running barefoot that it all really clicked and became second nature.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Half Fanatic #846

I ordered the book last night.  Hopefully I'll be able to improve form and prevent injury. 

Man that was fast - got it in the mail today!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Man that was fast - got it in the mail today!

Enjoy the book, there is definitely a lot to process in there, at least for me.