Barefoot Runners

VFF sizing concerns (Read 760 times)

Hey everyone. I don't believe I've ever posted here on the barefoot runnesr forum, although I have been lurking for quite a while.

I just purchased a pair of VFF KSOs. After trying on several sizes in the store, I finally settled for size 43. I have a millimeter or two between my big toe and the tip of the shoe while standing with my heel tucked into the heel of the shoe, so I think I chose the right size. Same deal with my second big toe or whatever its called. However, my 3 smaller toes have quite a bit of space, and seem to be smaller than the average toes. The seller at the store said that I wasn't meant to wear this shoe, since there would be too much friction while running but I purchased them regardless, willing to try them out and see what happens.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Should I expect massive blisters? Or is this a non-issue. I'd like your opinions, because I still haven't taken them out for a run, so I can still return them if need be.

Thanks for your help!

if you are just now diving into minimal footwear theres a good chance that your feet will change shape in almost every direction. expect your toes to spread out more and become more flexible. i cant see it creating a lot of problems since theres no chance of the kso slipping off, and since the first two toes are secure, maybe that will keep them from moving around too much.

Half Fanatic #846

The seller at the store said that I wasn't meant to wear this shoe, since there would be too much friction while running but I purchased them...

Well, I don't have experience actually wearing VFFs, but...according to sizing info on the Vibram website, if you have a footlength discrepancy of more than 1/16th (I think) of an inch, they don't recommend buying/wearing them.  I think your 3 smaller toes have much more room than 1/16th inch play (1/16th in. = equivalent of about 1.58mm) so maybe the salesman is right in this case.

I can't wear FFs because of an excessive footlength deiscrepancy - that drove me crazy for awhile, but I didn't want something that might cause a lot of blisters.  If you do wear them, good luck - maybe if it's close you can get away with it! 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Well, I don't have experience actually wearing VFFs, but...according to sizing info on the Vibram website, if you have a footlength discrepancy of more than 1/16th (I think) of an inch, they don't recommend buying/wearing them.  I think your 3 smaller toes have much more room than 1/16th inch play (1/16th in. = equivalent of about 1.58mm) so maybe the salesman is right in this case.

I can't wear FFs because of an excessive footlength deiscrepancy - that drove me crazy for awhile, but I didn't want something that might cause a lot of blisters.  If you do wear them, good luck - maybe if it's close you can get away with it! 

I just looked it up on the main site, and I think what you are referring to is where the second toe is longer than the big toe. There is nothing mentioned about my situation on the site, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with shorter small toes, so I guess its not such an uncommon thing.

Hey everyone. I don't believe I've ever posted here on the barefoot runnesr forum, although I have been lurking for quite a while.

I just purchased a pair of VFF KSOs. After trying on several sizes in the store, I finally settled for size 43. I have a millimeter or two between my big toe and the tip of the shoe while standing with my heel tucked into the heel of the shoe, so I think I chose the right size. Same deal with my second big toe or whatever its called. However, my 3 smaller toes have quite a bit of space, and seem to be smaller than the average toes. The seller at the store said that I wasn't meant to wear this shoe, since there would be too much friction while running but I purchased them regardless, willing to try them out and see what happens.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Should I expect massive blisters? Or is this a non-issue. I'd like your opinions, because I still haven't taken them out for a run, so I can still return them if need be.

Thanks for your help!

I think you'll be fine. If you have rubbing issue's you can always get some Injinji sock liners that's what I've done

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am moved to put in a plug for Vibrams, having just run my first marathon in them yesterday.  Post-race, I have no blisters, no black toenails, and no knee pain.  Am I ever glad I dumped the running shoes!

As for fit, some of my toes have quite a bit of space from their tips to the end of the VFF toe socket, but it hasn't been a problem.  I use the Injinji liners.

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I will be trying them for the first time. I did purchase them with a pretty snug fit. Will wearing injinji socks require me to size up on them? Or are they thin enough that they don't make a difference?

UPDATE

So I've run in my VFFs 3 times over the last couple of weeks, and I'm happy to report that I love these shoes!

I limited my first run to 15 mins, and I could definitely feel some soreness in my lower calves, which lasted a couple days. I attribute this to the zero drop of the VFFs compared to the Nike Frees which I normally run in. No blisters to report either.

My 2nd run was for 30 mins a week later, and that went without incident, and I felt great.

My 3rd run, 45 mins, did develop a couple of blisters, but probably because I ran in the rain, so there was more friction.

So to get back to my original question, does it matter if the smaller toes don't fit snugly in their sockets? Doesn't seem to be the case, at least not at the distances I've run so far.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I will be trying them for the first time. I did purchase them with a pretty snug fit. Will wearing injinji socks require me to size up on them? Or are they thin enough that they don't make a difference?

Sorry, didn't see your question for a while.  The Injinji liners definitely won't require you to size up.  Even the socks are pretty thin, a good deal thinner than most everyday socks.

Glad you're enjoying the VFFs and minimalist running.