Barefoot Runners

I want to try, but it's too cold (Read 568 times)

Prince of Fatness

OK, so I want to give barefoot running a try. I figure the best thing to do is add a little to my cross training days to start (I do yoga a couple of days a week). That way I can give it a try without impacting my weekly mileage. Anyway, it's just too damn cold this time of year to go outside barefoot. I'm not looking to invest in Vibrams just yet (although who knows down the road). So that leaves shoes such as Nike Frees or maybe racing flats. So I guess what I am looking for are suggestions on running shoes that would help me transition to trying barefoot running. I am not looking to spend alot, but if the suggestions point that way it is possible. Thanks!

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Saucony Kilkenny is a shoe I wear and like. It is a flat but also is a spikeless XC shoe. Eastbay currently has them on sale for $20. Very lightweight and will help with grip in the snow. I had to order one size larger to get the right fit.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Half Fanatic #846

I'm happy with my Nike Frees 5.0 (they came with a set of 4.5 insoles also), but I have worn them mostly every day at work for the last 4 months to strenghten my feet, and done very little running in them. But I really like the way they feel - sorta like slippers, much more natural, and my feet feel better. I'm thinking of taking out the insole soon to make them equal to 3.0? They seem to wear well too - hardly any noticeable wear after 150 walking miles mostly on concrete and asphalt. If I were to run barefoot in the cold and didn't have Vibrams, I'd consider Water Shoes (I get them at Sports Authority for $5.99 - thanks to Ed4 for that suggestion), and maybe with socks if it's really cold. Water shoes wear out much faster, but they're very cheap. But here in Fla. I don't have to worry about cold, so I don't have actual experience there! Fortunately, I can get on my treadmill anytime for some BF running. And I definitely count all my BF running in my weekly mileage. Hope this helps some Smile Bill MTA: Yes, I plan to get some Saucony Kilkennys soon too.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Vibrams are not great in the cold anyway, although I've yet to try the "Flow", which are supposed to be warmer. I tried the Kilkenny XC flats, they're definitely flat and light, but they were way too narrow for me, even going up two sizes higher than normal. I've been using some slightly more upscale water shoes this year (mostly because it's impossible to find the light, cheap ones around here this time of year): Teva Proton 3. Works great so far. Transitioning is a hard thing to do without some real barefoot running, so hang in there. Spring will come eventually, and then you'll be able to make much faster progress. My first winter was kinda rough, because I had a hard time finding a good form with even light shoes on. This year I'm finding it much easier, because the form is much more ingrained from a year of barefooting.
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          Rudolf

the cheapest option is to take any old shoes and sharp knife and cut all the cushioning - suportive - motion control material OFF. I did surgery on few pairs already including Frees and it feels great and superlight, although my surgery skills are not the greates it left few holes at the bottom, which feels funny in rainy weateher Big grin

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for the feedback folks.
              Transitioning is a hard thing to do without some real barefoot running, so hang in there. Spring will come eventually, and then you'll be able to make much faster progress. My first winter was kinda rough, because I had a hard time finding a good form with even light shoes on. This year I'm finding it much easier, because the form is much more ingrained from a year of barefooting.
              Reading this I think I'll sit tight for now. The shin splints are getting better with stretching and yoga. I really like the yoga because it not only involves stretching, there are balancing and strengthening poses too. The more I think about it, I believe that my problems are tied to muscle imbalances. I sit at a desk all day, and while I was running alot (40 mpw), that is the only exercise I get. Stretching is a treatment, and has been helpful. But I think that the cure is to get the muscles back in balance. The yoga is really helping with that, and I think some barefoot running will help, too. There's no sense experimenting too much until I am fully recovered from the shin splints. Once the weather warms I plan on working up to 20 - 30 minutes of barefoot running on my yoga days. Then we'll see how far I want to take it. In the meantime I'll be listening in here .... thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yeah, yoga is a great complement to running. I've been trying to do more myself lately.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Prince of Fatness

Saucony Kilkenny is a shoe I wear and like. It is a flat but also is a spikeless XC shoe. Eastbay currently has them on sale for $20. Very lightweight and will help with grip in the snow. I had to order one size larger to get the right fit.

I bought myself a pair of these.  They are a little on the narrow side, but not too bad.  I ran a couple of miles in them Friday.  It's definitely a different experience.  I run exclusively in cushioned trainers.  I just started mixing in some light weight trainers, and would like to mix in flats at some point.  I need to be careful though, as I noticed some stiffness in my calves after the run Friday.

I do an hour of yoga twice a week, and I am thinking of adding in some barefoot running as a warmup for those sessions.  Nothing much to start, like a quarter mile at most.  I'll report back on how that works out.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Well today was a yoga day.  Normally on Tuesdays I get up an hour early and get a run in so I can do yoga after I get home from work.  Today I didn't feel like getting up, so I went out and ran this afternoon before yoga.  So I get home from the run and I figure now is as good of a time as any to try this barefoot thing.  I just did 2 tenths of a mile, not much, just down the middle of the street as ways and back.  But that was enough, as I can feel a tiny bit of aching in my feet.  Certainly nothing to worry about, but it is there.  I am glad I didn't go any further, because as I was running I really thought that I could go further.

It's interesting.  I actually found it easier to accustom myself to running barefoot in that short time than I did with a couple of miles in flats.  I'm going to stick with this.  A short barefoot jog before yoga twice a week will do nicely.  I'll just keep adding a little more distance as I start getting more comfortable with it. 

Not at it at all. 

pitrunner

I'm getting a little worried about my barefoot progress now that chillier temperatures are looming  in the not so distant future. My longest barefoot run is now up to 2 miles and it feels fantastic. I took a barefoot run last Sunday morning when it was in the 60's and it hurt!! I had to put on my VFF's much earlier than I intended. My feet felt creaky and it was hard to get into good form. Also, eash pebble I stepped on was way more painful than normal.

Is the cold something else you can get yourself accustomed to? If not, it looks like it's going to be a long winter of Vibrams. Which stinks because I enjoy being fully barefoot so much more than VFF's and I'm worried it's going to undo all the progress I've made. 

Anyone have any thoughts or insights? Also, has anyone tried the Flows yet? I just ordered a pair and am a little anxious about it.

Flows are in my future as well.

As for the cooler weather, I haven't gotten much here yet, but what I have gotten has been very welcome.

I imagine that your body is going to need to adjust the cooler temperatures, just like it does the hot.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com