Barefoot Runners

Seeking advice on transitioning to huaraches (Read 386 times)

kfmfe04

Target: huaraches (unshoes Pah Tempe)

Target Race: marathon in Dec, 2012 (would like to finish around 4h, but would be happy just to complete in huaraches)

BF (for many years): most of the day at home, Tevas when I go out - only time I wear shods (currently) is to train

Current shods: NB 880

Foot Strike: middle to toe

Current mileage: 40 mpw base building using Maffetone (low HR method) on tracks and flat pavement

BTW, I had a blast jogging/walking BF on the local HS track a couple months ago - about 30 min at a time.  No problems except some wear on the right balls of my foot, indicating that I was pushing off.  All was fine until the third time out when I trained during the afternoon, and felt a little uncomfortable on the warm track.  When I got back, the heat blisters were not pleasant:  this is the main reason I would like to try training in huaraches instead.

Plan:  train in both huaraches and in shods, gradually shifting mileage from shods to huaraches (over 2 months?).  The huaraches should reach me in 6 weeks so in the meantime, I will start BF at the local HS track during times when the surface is not hot.  Maybe start with 3-5k.

Is this too ambitious?  I have a feeling the only way to tell is to try it and be aware/honest to any pain that comes my way, and attempt to adjust accordingly.  I'm very new to BF running and to huaraches, so please critique and/or offer any suggestions my way.

TY.

- Ken

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

sounds like a good plan to me Ken. We're all experiment of 1 anyway, so listen to your body as you make the transition. Also try to go bf as often as you can when not running. It also helps strengthen the foot and get them used to it.

good luck! Looking forward to running reports!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

kfmfe04

sounds like a good plan to me Ken. We're all experiment of 1 anyway, so listen to your body as you make the transition. Also try to go bf as often as you can when not running. It also helps strengthen the foot and get them used to it.

good luck! Looking forward to running reports!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the encouragement.  To avoid injury, I've decided to just start out with 2km at the end of my shod runs.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, how the heck did you manage to finish a HM after having a heart attack?!?

Didn't your physicians or your relatives discourage you from training at all?

You must have an amazing story to tell!

- Ken

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log