Barefoot Runners

How should I get started? (Read 446 times)

Duncan

Oh, and my instructor used to always yell at me for having "tense shoulders" too.
    Hi Anya. I really had empathy with you when I read your post. I love my running but I've had injury after injury after injury (including ITB). Because I couldn't contemplate not running I've tried support shoes, motion control shoes and cushioned shoes. I've tried Chi running. I've tried every stretch known to man and invented a few more. I've tried strengthening exercises with resistance bands and a rowing machine. Nothing has worked until now - and I've got to say I'm very excited about where my running is and appears to be heading. It is early days for me as a minimal/ bare footer but I have already had massive breakthroughs. I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is that I think this works and makes sense - if you are prepared to start from scratch and be patient. Read all the posts on this group, you will learn lots about how things will feel, especially in your calves and feet, but it is worth it. Patience is the key. I quoted that portion of your post because I've noticed that my upper body is much looser running in minimal shoes that it ever was shod, not sure why and whether this is normal but you may find the same. Have fun!
      Hi Anya. I really had empathy with you when I read your post. I love my running but I've had injury after injury after injury (including ITB). Because I couldn't contemplate not running I've tried support shoes, motion control shoes and cushioned shoes. I've tried Chi running. I've tried every stretch known to man and invented a few more. I've tried strengthening exercises with resistance bands and a rowing machine. Nothing has worked until now - and I've got to say I'm very excited about where my running is and appears to be heading. It is early days for me as a minimal/ bare footer but I have already had massive breakthroughs. I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is that I think this works and makes sense - if you are prepared to start from scratch and be patient. Read all the posts on this group, you will learn lots about how things will feel, especially in your calves and feet, but it is worth it. Patience is the key. I quoted that portion of your post because I've noticed that my upper body is much looser running in minimal shoes that it ever was shod, not sure why and whether this is normal but you may find the same. Have fun!
      Thanks, I will. I want to buy those fivefingers this weekend, hopefully. I'm going to walk it tonight barefoot, and hopefully maybe run a bit too. How exciting!

- Anya