Barefoot Runners

Step-by-step plan to begin barefoot running- any input? (Read 387 times)

Professional Antagonist

I know I just joined this group, so please don't take this as a spam attempt.  I've been working on developing a plan to help new barefoot runners avoid the pitfalls of doing too much too soon.  I really want to get as much input as possible from more experienced barefoot runners or those that are in the process of transitioning to barefoot running.  Take a look at the plan.  If you have any significant things to add or see any areas to change, please shoot me an email or post it here.  I will list you as a contributor, so please tell me if you do not want me to mention your name.  Thanks for the help!

-Jason

Plan: http://jasonrobillard.com/barefootchronicles/howdoistart.html

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Welcome.  I like your plan.  But I think this statement is misleading:

"The most important is the way the foot touches the ground."

It's misleading because it's not helpful to focus on foot landing.  A good landing is critical of course, but you don't get it by thinking about your feet.  You get it by thinking about your entire posture.  A forefoot or midfoot landing is the consequence of good posture, not the other way around.

I have seen many beginners struggle with this.  They try to force themselves to land on the forefoot, and it feels awkward and unnatural to them because they haven't change their posture. So they decide they are just "natural" heel strikers, and this isn't for them.

I don't have any great suggestions for how to convey this.  Maybe put more emphasis on the need to lean forward from the ankles, and keeping the feet below (or behind) the center of gravity.  Pictures might help, although even pictures can be misleading when you're describing something as dynamic as running.

The timeline is definitely conservative.  It's hard to come up with one that works for everybody. 

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Professional Antagonist

Welcome.  I like your plan.  But I think this statement is misleading:

"The most important is the way the foot touches the ground."

It's misleading because it's not helpful to focus on foot landing.  A good landing is critical of course, but you don't get it by thinking about your feet.  You get it by thinking about your entire posture.  A forefoot or midfoot landing is the consequence of good posture, not the other way around.

I have seen many beginners struggle with this.  They try to force themselves to land on the forefoot, and it feels awkward and unnatural to them because they haven't change their posture. So they decide they are just "natural" heel strikers, and this isn't for them.

I don't have any great suggestions for how to convey this.  Maybe put more emphasis on the need to lean forward from the ankles, and keeping the feet below (or behind) the center of gravity.  Pictures might help, although even pictures can be misleading when you're describing something as dynamic as running.

The timeline is definitely conservative.  It's hard to come up with one that works for everybody. 

Thanks for the comments, Ed.  The foot strike is a tough issue to convey.  I wasn't 100% comfortable putting so much focus on how the foot touches the ground.  I agree- good form will result in a good foot strike.  The problem is getting people to understand the flaw of the heel strike.  I think I will completely rewrite the section so the focus is on form versus what the foot is doing.  I have a few ideas for pictures to add that would help new BF runners understand the points.  We also had some difficulty explaining form.  Part of the problem is the individual differences BF runners display.  No one single theory seemed to fit universally.  Pose, ChiRunning, and Ken Bob's stuff doesn't quite fit everyone.  Each can be a good start, but the individual runner will invariably tweak the method based on what works for them. 

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it!

Thanks for joining us, and contributing.  Smile
            Someone just sent me a plan from Runners World (scroll down here).   It's very conservative. (Typical Runners World patronizing tone.)  But I thought it might be helpful to someone. 

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks for the comments, Ed.  The foot strike is a tough issue to convey.  I wasn't 100% comfortable putting so much focus on how the foot touches the ground.  I agree- good form will result in a good foot strike.  The problem is getting people to understand the flaw of the heel strike.  I think I will completely rewrite the section so the focus is on form versus what the foot is doing.  I have a few ideas for pictures to add that would help new BF runners understand the points.  We also had some difficulty explaining form.  Part of the problem is the individual differences BF runners display.  No one single theory seemed to fit universally.  Pose, ChiRunning, and Ken Bob's stuff doesn't quite fit everyone.  Each can be a good start, but the individual runner will invariably tweak the method based on what works for them. 

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it!

It seems to me that the footstrike comes naturally when you're unshod ...I've found I literally can't heelstrike when unshod, simply because it hurts.  A midfoot strike feels good and came naturally on my very first BF run.

I really like your videos, the slow-motion provides a lot of information. It was interesting to see that you strike not only midfoot, but slightly lateral, then the foot rolls inward. I'm pretty sure my feet are doing the same, judging from the slight lateral-midfoot callous that's developed.

Arla

Ex runner

Professional Antagonist

Thanks for the comments, guys! 

Lookforward- that's the same plan.  The gang at Runner's World are the contributors that helped me design it.    The link I posted here is from my own personal site (I never liked cross-linking between forums... it felt tacky since I'm the one that wrote the plan).

It is conservative, but we designed it for runners that may have zero barefoot experience.  I added a comment about being able to start on a later step. 

Arla- That slight pronation helps disburse the weight.  I've noticed quite a few BF runners seem to do it.  It's not something I consciously try to do... just the natural motion that seems to 'feel right".  As far as the heel-strike, I have had a few new BF runners try BF running once, then give it up.  The reason- they tried heel striking.  One guy supposedly ran 5k doing it.  I have no idea how he survived.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

As far as the heel-strike, I have had a few new BF runners try BF running once, then give it up.  The reason- they tried heel striking.  One guy supposedly ran 5k doing it.  I have no idea how he survived.

Yeah, people sometimes assume you have to have a high tolerance for pain to run barefoot.  I think the opposite is true.  The wimpier the better.  You learn better that way. 

I too pronate significantly.  It's natural and helpful, and I doubt I could do it any differently if I tried.  The shoe companies have turned "pronation" into a dirty word, but it's only a problem in shoes.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.