Barefoot Runners

Terra Plana Vivo Barefoot "Aqua" shoe review (Read 2221 times)

Professional Antagonist

Here's a shoe review for one of Terra Plana's casual shoes:

http://barefootjason.blogspot.com/2010/02/shoe-review-terra-plana-vivo-barefoot.html

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

Half Fanatic #846

I  might be sold on a pair to use for work (where I have to do a lot of walking and standing on concrete) if I knew that the soles would be long wearing.  I also wondered about the use of leather uppers in the Terra Plana shoes, and if that made any significant difference in weight or stiffness compared to other materials.

I considered buying a pair of Feelmax Niesas or Pankas last year, but read in an individual review that the soles didn't last long and started to show excess wear and a possible hole forming after a "short" period of time. Too bad, since that should otherwise be a good deal at around $70-80.

I'm now getting ready to order another pair of black Nike Free 5.0s (customized at $110) for work - black is required - to replace a pair I have used for the last 18 months, and probably has over 1,000 combination walking/running miles on them. The soles on them are definitely worn, but a long way from being worn out. Of course the soles are thicker than just 3 or 4 mm, so there might not be a truly minimalist shoe available with long lasting soles...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Last years Feelmax are completely different than the new ones. The Panka is not suitable for outdoor use do to its ease of getting wet. The new Niesa and Kuusa all have been water proofed and durability increased. Barefoot Ted has had a pair for a year now and he is still running in them. Not sure how many miles though.

Half Fanatic #846

Last years Feelmax are completely different than the new ones. The Panka is not suitable for outdoor use do to its ease of getting wet. The new Niesa and Kuusa all have been water proofed and durability increased. Barefoot Ted has had a pair for a year now and he is still running in them. Not sure how many miles though.

Thanks for the info! 

I also forgot about Ed4 having a pair of Fivefingers with 1200-1500 miles on them. Unfortunately, I can't wear FF because of my foot length discrepancy - so I would have to buy 2 pairs to get a proper fit on each foot.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If we're talking about casual use, FiveFingers are definitely weird looking.  The Terra Plana's at least look more "normal". 

I know for some folks that's an issue at work.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Queen of 3rd Place

I've just started running in the Niesa's and they are far, far more like BF than the Vibrams FFs. The FFs don't feel all that different from my Saucony Kilkenny, which in turn don't feel much different from my road racing flats (Adizero Mana). All of those others are definitely shoes. The Feelmax are more like a very thin mocassin. Now to see how long they last, however I bought a half size too small and am limited to about 6 mi at a time right now.

Ex runner

Half Fanatic #846

I ordered the black Terra Plana Aquas for work, where black is required and I spend a lot of time walking and standing on concrete, and they arrived  yesterday.  They look like a cross between a work shoe (the front half) and a nice tennis shoe (the rear half). I had ordered one size larger than I normally wear, and this was a good fit. The toe box is large (which I like), and they are plenty wide across the forefoot.

At first I thought they didn't feel very "minimalist", but this was simply due to the removable insole blocking much of the sensation to the feet.. After removing the insoles, I could easily feel the ground and most of the irregularities in pavement, etc. - a very comfortable and casual minimalist shoe that was just what I wanted. I wore them for 8 1/2 hours at work yesterday evening, and my feet and ankles became fairly sore for the next 12 hours.  A 7 mile run (shod) this morning helped get rid of those little aches and pains. Now I've put the insoles back in and will probably leave them in for a week or two.  These shoes are apparently a lot more minimalist than the Nike Free 4.5's I had been wearing at work the last year or so - perfect!

The only negative I can come up with so far is that the soles are slick on tile and similar surfaces, but not enough to cause me to slip.  I'm not sure about running in these - It's listed as a casual shoe (the new "Evo" running shoe is due out some time next month).  If the Aquos turn out to be durable, then it will have been money well spent.  After a  first look and one day of wear, I'll give the shoe an "A" or "A-". 

Bill

My personal review of the Vivo Barefoot Aqua.

I have a pair of the black Aqua that I bought about a year ago. ( I leave the insoles in, btw)

Too expensive but very durable.

Very Slippery Soles.

Very roomy in the tobox A++

Look nice with buisness casual clothes

Easy to put on.

Overall very comfy and flexible.

I mostly wear these shoes at work/school/out and about.  I love to go BF as much as possible but this winter I have been sliping on the Vivos more often.  

The biggest reason that I wear them: they are real easy to slip on. (i have them notted at just the right tension for me so i never have to tie them).  Somedays I just dont feel like wrestling with my vibrams so I just throw my Vivos on and head out in 4 seconds flat!

What about running/ exersise/ play?

Well, since I wear them for work, I wouldnt want to run in them, get them sweaty or muddy but they could work for that. 

I actually ran home from work in them one day.  They are little heavier than I would like and of course the damn things are slippery as hell.  But if I absolutley had to wear shoes and not Vibrams, these would do in an impromtu 5k. 

Note:  at first i didnt like them.  they felt too much like "real" shoes.  But after several miles walking in them they begain to get more and more flexible.  I think they are a great casual minimalistic shoe!

The right path is my path.

Half Fanatic #846

The only negative I can come up with so far is that the soles are slick on tile and similar surfaces,...

and a couple of days ago I realized that the soles are not the "non-marking" type -  I can leave scuff marks on a hardwood floor if I want to.  Still, except for being too pricey, they get a solid "A" overall.

Professional Antagonist

I agree about the slipperiness.  And they are a bit too heavy for running.  As a casual shoe, I love them more every day.  I'm really hoping the EVO can capture some of the Aqua magic...

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site