Barefoot Runners

Got an injury...but I'm ok (Read 368 times)

Had my first 2 week layup since I've been a VFF runner.   I signed up for a half marathon in May and was gradually ramping up my miles.   My max in the VFF's was 8 miles.  I went on a killer 8 mile trail run.  It was an up and down, hopping and jumping, very uneven surfaces sort of trail.   When I got home, the outside of my right foot, below the ankle was swollen and killed.   I'm pretty sure I had a case of peroneus longus tendonitus. lol!  Self diagnosis. Definitely an overuse injury because those tendons hadn't had that sort of abuse yet.  I learned my lesson.  Trail runs for now are to be less than 5 miles!!

Took a full 2 weeks off. Iced it all the time, took a lot of Ibuprofen and stayed off my feet as much as I could.   When I first started again, I had some twinges and pangs, but it didn't last long.   I'm back in the saddle again.  I'm not up to 8 miles yet.....thinking of trying for that or close to it this weekend.   The 1/2 is May 1st and I need to know my feet can handle 13.1 without injury. 

Moral of the story?  Overuse injury can happen fast in VFF's or barefoot!  Take it easy!!

I am starting back off very slowly. Was running 2 miles last week every other day. Now I am doing 2.5 and running the off days with my wife for 1 mile. Hopefully, I won't relapse.