Barefoot Runners

Another convert (Read 596 times)

Deacon

Been a lurker here for a little while and a few weeks ago made the switch to exclusive BF running.  For now this consists running on the treadmill, but I intend for it to evolve into BF and VFF running outside once my mileage increases. 

I’ve been wearing orthotics for years (flat feet) and have never really exceeded 15 MPW before injuries (or work/life) have interfered – generally calf strains, knee pain and ITBS.  So far I am pretty excited about this more natural approach. 

I have been running 5x per week, and will be up to running about 4 miles this week (probably 5 x 0.8m).  So far I’ve been experiencing the calf soreness that others here have described (although this is getting better) and soreness on the balls of my feet.  I guess these are probably blisters, but they tend to disappear a few hours after my run and they don’t actually “blister” with fluid. 

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the information I’ve found out here so far.  From what I’ve read, it sounds like I need to continue to increase mileage slowly and that the soreness on the balls of my feet is due to pushing off…so I need to continue to work on my form.  If anyone is interested in checking out my log (it is public), I am certainly open to suggestions and advice.  Also, any tips on form that have worked for you would be appreciated (for instance, I’ve found that it’s hard to stay relaxed and focus on lifting your feet). 

Half Fanatic #846

So far I’ve been experiencing the calf soreness that others here have described (although this is getting better) and soreness on the balls of my feet.  I guess these are probably blisters, but they tend to disappear a few hours after my run and they don’t actually “blister” with fluid. 

Welcome, Bob.  I spent the last few months working up to 5 mile runs barefoot on the treadmill - plan to take it outside soon. Lately I've been wondering if outside surfaces will actually be better on the soles of my feet compared to the "slick constant friction" of the treadmill...

On yesterday's run I started developing a hotspot near the ball of my right foot at 3.5, decided I could finish the last 1.5 miles - boy, was that a mistake!  Now I can't run because of a quarter-sized blood blister, so be careful (I know to "listen to my body" - but pushed it way too much this time). I just hope I can do a 15K on the 16th.

I've only gotten a few little rough places and tiny blisters til now.  Enjoy, but be careful!

MTA:  As far as relaxing, it helps me to lower my shoulders and to pick my knees up ever so slightly to help my feet land under me properly. I have a mid-to-forefoot landing - trying not to aggravate my plantar fasciitis/heel spur.  After I've run a couple of miles I find my turnover is in the 180 range or a little more, although I don't try to "run faster" to accomplish this rate - it probably doesn't matter that much anyway because I'm not an elite and it's unnatural to force things. Just my 2 cents worth.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Congrats on getting started. 

Look forward to spring.  Because once you can get outside and off the treadmill I think you'll find the progress goes much faster.  And it's more fun.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Deacon

I'm actually heading to Florida this weekend for a wedding...I plan on getting outside for at least a couple of runs.  Definitely looking forward to getting my feet on the real ground.

Deacon

Quick update:  I am still at it. 

I'm slowly building my weekly mileage from 4.2 mpw when I last posted in early January to what will be 8.0 mpw this week.  It's a great feeling to look at my weekly distance graph on my log...consistent, steady progress each week.  And my running form is still evolving (initially a fore-foot strike to more of a mid-foot strike) and feeling more and more natural. 

For the most part, all my mileage so far has been on my treadmill. The only exception to this was a couple of runs in Florida a few weeks ago...these were on a smooth concrete sidewalk that actually felt less abrasive than the treadmill.  And then this morning, with my first VFF run. 

I am going to start getting outside with the VFFs in the coming weeks, then consistently outside and BF once things start to warm up in the Spring. 

The more experienced folks on here have it right...learn the proper form by going barefoot on hard surfaces and build slowly.  It's working for me, anyway.