Barefoot Runners

Wow! Calves... (Read 694 times)

Beware, batbear...

Hey guys.  I started up the C25K program with my fiancee'.  She's doing the program from scratch and I'm going along with her to encourage and sometimes push (we have a lot of hills where we live).  I decided that this would be a good way for me to get in some barefoot time.  I've been walking barefoot anywhere from a 1/3 to a 1/2 mile but jumped up to a little over a mile with her (mix walk/run).

The running, even after just two sessions has really caused me to alter my stride.  You can really feel the forward propulsion from bounding off the front of the foot.  But my calves!!!  Wow.  Not sure I'm going to be able to make today's scheduled run barefoot.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Just be careful not to hurt yourself. The point of barefoot/minimalist, for me at least, is to run with out injury. So, be aware of your body and take the proper precautions.

Beware, batbear...

Went ahead and went for the run/walk mix (but that is ALL I'm doing today!).  Calves and feet feel much better after the little bit of exercise.  However, I stubbed my toe on my dog.

If you are making the transition from heeled shoes to barefooted, there will be some calf discomfort.   However it should be mild.   If after a short adjustment period your calves still hurt it is VERY likely you are overstriding.   If you land with your foot directly under your center of gravity there is very little tension in the calf.

Queen of 3rd Place

The calf thing can be eye-opening at first, can't it!

Congrats to your fiancee on starting C25K.

Ex runner

If you are making the transition from heeled shoes to barefooted, there will be some calf discomfort.   However it should be mild.   If after a short adjustment period your calves still hurt it is VERY likely you are overstriding.   If you land with your foot directly under your center of gravity there is very little tension in the calf.

How short is the adjustment period?  I went through some calf pain when I switched to a midfoot strike in shoes.  That went away so I started with some barefoot running...about 1/4 mile at first, up to 3/4 of a mile.  Everything seemed okay until last week.  Now I've got the calf pain again and it doesn't seem to be getting better.  What is overstriding and how can I tell if that's what this is or if it's just muscle adjustment again?

Beware, batbear...

The calf thing can be eye-opening at first, can't it!

Congrats to your fiancee on starting C25K.

Yeah, the pain subsided after a rest day and I'm feeling better, but I've only done one barefoot run since then.  We'll see how it goes after this week.

Certainly Something...

How short is the adjustment period?  I went through some calf pain when I switched to a midfoot strike in shoes.  That went away so I started with some barefoot running...about 1/4 mile at first, up to 3/4 of a mile.  Everything seemed okay until last week.  Now I've got the calf pain again and it doesn't seem to be getting better.  What is overstriding and how can I tell if that's what this is or if it's just muscle adjustment again?

Hello Littlechime!

I've been lurking for awhile so I can tell you what people generally say to this kind of question.  Not going to claim to be some expert as I'm still in transition myself. 

How long have you been running with a midfoot strike? 

Are you running in a minamilist shoe already? If so how long?

Generally a pretty typical rule people who have transitioned say you should go by is 1 barefoot mile = 3 regular miles.  If your transition to a midfoot strike can help your form, but running expressly barefoot will work a  lot of muscles that you weren't using inside your shoes.  If you are still keeping up mileage in shoes you should think about dialing it back a bit to go with the rule above. After a 2 months of barefoot running you can move up to 1:2, then debate rages on when it goes 1:1.

Personally I can tell if I'm overstriding if I have to physically point my foot down to get a landing on my mid/forefoot strike.  You foot should be relaxed even as it's coming down and it should naturally land more mid/forefoot.  Pose method of thinking has really helped me with this aspect.  Worrying more about picking my foot directly up after landing allows me to relax my foot as it is landing because I'm more worried about making sure I don't push off then expressly how I land.

http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/topics?hl=en is a very helpful place regarding barefoot/minimalist running.  Lots of discussion has gone on that you can search through relating to things that you might be worrying about.

Relaxed running is key as Ed4 continually points out.

Something else I heard which has helped me out was actually in reference to barefoot hill running.  Which was when you are leaning forward to make your "controlled fall"  is that you should be tilting forward at the ankles not at the waist.  Your body should be straight and you tilt your center of gravity from your ankles.

Again, I'm not an expert this is just information I've gleened for myself off of forums and blogs.  I've been running 1 mile a day(roughly) for three weeks and these are just some tidbits that I've noticed and helped me.  Last year I had 3 missstarts with barefoot running because I was doing TOO MUCH TOO SOON.  TMTS is pretty standard as barefoot running is too much fun.

Have fun! Don't just listen to me, read around. 

If I've stated anything wrong or cryptically someone please correct me.  I could use the help myself Smile

I think I'm definitely in the TMTS category.  But it IS so much fun!  It's hard to resist!  But last night was the worst...I could barely run at all.  So I'm taking today off completely (which bothers me to no end!) and I'm going to leave the barefooting alone until at least Sunday.  If things feel better I'll head over to the track where I can run the infield, in the soft grass, and take it easy.

It's so hard to back off though!  My calves definitely need the break.

I'll try to pay attention to how I'm leaning.  I hadn't really thought of that part before.  That might be part of the problem too.

Thanks for the tips!!

Prizefighter

However, I stubbed my toe on my dog.

You did WHAT?

PCHOOOOO!

Certainly Something...

Chrismanity

That drawing made my day.