Barefoot Runners

OA and FF and other acronyms (Read 185 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Since I have chronic problems with my knees and I've heard rave reviews about FF's vs. knees, I'm considering trying them. The problem is that I also have osteoarthritis in my big toe, which can get aggravated when the toe is plantarflexed too far. For some reason, it doesn't bother me in sneakers, but the resistance of the sole probably keeps the toes from bending too much. Anyone have any experience with barefooting it with osteoarthritis?
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

No experience there. If you want to find out whether this might work for you before you buy anything, just experiment with some very gentle barefoot running. All you need is a surface that's smooth but hard, like a tar path or freshly paved sidewalk. A track could also work, but many rubberized tracks are uncomfortably rough for a beginner. The motion in FiveFingers is almost identical to barefoot, in terms of how the toes flex. The whole foot certainly does flex much more than in stiff shoes. That flexing is part of the reason you get less impact (on the knees and everything else).
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.