Barefoot Runners

Resting Bare Feet? (Read 233 times)

Beware, batbear...

I've ran 1.34 miles Monday-Wednesday of this week. These were my first barefoot runs. Should I plan to rest the feet tomorrow. The 1.34 I did today barefoot was my only running today (my "rest" day). I plan to run tomorrow morning and finish with some barefoot, but I'm wondering if I should take a day off to let my...I don't know, plantar muscles, skin, etc. rest.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

If you're sore - rest. If just a litte tender try running on grass.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Beware, batbear...

I'm not sore, but I noticed that the muscles on the top of my right foot were a little hot this morning (may be lower ankle tendons). I did my shod run then I did a little under a mile barefoot as a cool down. Just trying to strengthen the feet slowly, toughen the soles. About how long does it take to get to where you can run with a little more pace? I know that right now I'm very ginger on them. Could be mental, but I have a hard time getting myself to run at anything more than a slow stroll/jog.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Knowing nothing else, I'd say "hot" could very well mean an inflammatory response... I personally would recommend taking a rest day and icing now and after each run for the next while.

Roads were made for journeys...

About how long does it take to get to where you can run with a little more pace?.
            I wanted to keep my miles up, so it wasn't a complete switch from shoes to barefoot for me. At this point, I've switched almost exclusively to the Vibram Sprints, with some barefooting. The problem with barefooting is that the bottoms of my feel can't quite take the beating. The sidewalks around me are incredibly rough, the trails all have new woodchips, and the roads are in need of repair. I am still braving it once a week though. To answer your actual question, it took me about 1 month to 1.5 months before I could run close to a threshold pace in Vibrams. It took at least 2 months before I could run interval pace, and that's still on the grass. The key, as Ed pointed out, is to relax.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com