Barefoot Runners

NY Times article on BF running form & Vibrams Barefoot running guide (Read 987 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1320408130-IsXtLNKjNo4UmcQQhC7Bkg

Good read. I also kept heel striking when first wearing VFF Bikila's. Took full BF for me to transition to ball/mid foot strike. Am going to have to try the 100 up exercise. It looks similar to the running in place our local BF guru has us do before a run.

Saw this Vibram guide. Haven't read it but wanted to share...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/VibramFiveFingers/Barefoot_Running_Brochure_R13_062211.pdf

btw: I'm well on my way to being able to BF run our local 5mi Turkey Trot. Did 4.5 mi on asphalt in a shopping center parking lot the other morning. No foot tenderness and got 3 mi BF in the next day on concrete!

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

Thanks for the links, Bob.

No foot tenderness  and got 3 mi BF in the next day on concrete!

I used to have severe  tender footness  before BF!  But I'm not used to concrete - it jars my body and I feel the effects. I guess if there was concrete in my neighborhood I'd get used to it quickly enough - it's easy and smooth to run on for sure.  I remember running part of a 5K on concrete in shoes once and my body was sore for a couple of days - I was heel striking back then anyway.

I'm going to check on the "100 up" exercise now...  Good Luck in the Turkey Trot!

MTA: 

That NYT article was a good read - I've personally experienced many of it's premises.  And, I know my heels still touch the ground maybe still a little too hard, so the 100 exercise - which is easy - should help. 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

tomatolover

thanks for the Vibram guide!  very useful advice 

Thanks for sharing, I'm very interested in the 100 up exercise that he dug up. I see others have referenced in the past, but sometimes it takes someone in the media circle to hype it up to a point where some of us normal folks can see it.

Anyone have any experience with this? 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I've done the 100-up minor exercise a few times. Haven't really gotten into the major yet. Intend to since I had no problems with the minor.

Question: how do you count? With each foot fall, or with each leg, e.g. 100 with each leg - which is what I choose. Have watched the video a few times and can't quite figure out what was intended.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

I was wondering about the 100 up form as well and ran across this:

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/blog/2011/11/100-up-in-action/

(in case anybody else was still wondering...)

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I was wondering about the 100 up form as well and ran across this:

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/blog/2011/11/100-up-in-action/

(in case anybody else was still wondering...)

yes I was but hadn't found this! Thanks!

bob e v