Barefoot Runners

A 15,000 Barefoot Milestone today (10/27/09) .... (Read 383 times)

Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Today, I have ran over 15,000 barefoot miles since I started running barefoot. It's been 2196 days since I ran my first barefoot run which was on October 21, 2003 (a few days over 6 years). That day, I read about a long-haired hippie looking fellow named Ken Saxton running the Long Beach Marathon. As some of you know, my knees were in bad shape at that time and I thought I would have to have them scoped. Ken's site showed me how to land lightly and without force. I still ran with shoes or sandals off and on until April 2004 which was a few hundred shod miles during transition.

As of today, I have ran 15,008.19 miles totally barefoot. On average from 10/21/03, my mileage is 47.84 barefoot miles per week (of course, not counting the shod miles between October '03 and April '04). 

Thanks to God (Philippians 4:13) and barefoot running the past six years, I haven't had any significant injuries that have kept me from my daily runs. I am grateful for those who were there in my newbie days of barefoot running to give me pointers and encouragement. Hopefully, I can be there for those that might need the same.

Thankful Regards!

Rick

Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
      http://barefootrunner.org

Half Fanatic #846

That's awesome Rick!!!  BTW, thanks for looking in on us from time to time and sharing your knowledge here. 

Barefoot running is helping me recover from a year-long bout with plantar faciitis.  I look forward to using my minimalist shoes and barefooting, and now am really sorry that I wasted  $$ on 2 prs. of regular running shoes just a short time before I started taking this more seriously and getting good results.  I'm still learning, though. 

That gravel road you suggested that I practice on for the 15K turns out to be a block from my house and is 1.6 miles long out & back - I just didn't think about BF'ing it before for some reason (guess I thought it would be too hard to do)...thanks.

Bill        

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing that. I like the fact that there was a long transition. Thinking long term helps me cope with the baby steps.
        Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

That's awesome Rick!!!  BTW, thanks for looking in on us from time to time and sharing your knowledge here. 

Barefoot running is helping me recover from a year-long bout with plantar faciitis.  I look forward to using my minimalist shoes and barefooting, and now am really sorry that I wasted  $$ on 2 prs. of regular running shoes just a short time before I started taking this more seriously and getting good results.  I'm still learning, though. 

That gravel road you suggested that I practice on for the 15K turns out to be a block from my house and is 1.6 miles long out & back - I just didn't think about BF'ing it before for some reason (guess I thought it would be too hard to do)...thanks.

Bill        

Nothing better to practice your form on than gravel. You'll be a barefoot running stud in a few months if you keep that up! Thanks for the kind words.

Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
          Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing that. I like the fact that there was a long transition. Thinking long term helps me cope with the baby steps.

Yep, inch by inch it's a cinch. Just keep at it. You'll go far! Thanks!!

Way to go Rick. Thanks for leading the way.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.