Barefoot Runners

First time. (Read 763 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

So.... this morning I ran a gentle 4 mile recovery on the treadmill and decided to take my shoes off for the final mile.

Kept the same recovery pace (8:00) and it felt fine.... however I now have tight calves and a burning sensation on the ball of my foot and toes.

I was noticeably landing on the ball of my foot - more than before. 

I am presuming that the tight calves are due to the change in stride and foot strike?

And the burning sensation is from the treadmill right?  (I have to run on the treadmill early in the morning, so finding grass is out of the question - although I might be able to do that at weekends).

Any thoughts?

A few issues here:

1. You're running the same pace. If you never run barefoot, and this is changing your gait, you'd best slow down a little.

2. Sore calves is typical, it usually signals overdoing it and/or pushing off with your feet/calves instead of picking them up.

3. Your feet probably aren't ready for that kind of friction or distance. If this is really your first time, your feet need some time to adapt.  Often you will get hotspots if you're pushing off, overcompensating by landing too far forward on your foot, or if you "spin" or twist your foot on placement or pickup. Obviously that generates a tremendous amount of friction.  

I'm not sure what you've already done to get yourself up to speed barefoot, training, so excuse my ignorance, but just jumping in may not be the most prudent.  There are many resources on the web in easing yourself up to speed while reducing the risk of injury. I can point out some of those if you'd like.

Sorry to be so negative, I do think that it's great what you're doing.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Purdey

Self anointed title

Sorry to be so negative, I do think that it's great what you're doing.

Well... slightly negative response I guess.

This was my first attempt at BF running.  Calves still a little sore 2 days later, but managed a half decent X Country race today - so they are not stopping me running.

Yep - I guess I ned to slow down a bit, will wait until calves are totally recovered before trying again.

I am little confused about your advice to pick feet up rather than push off with ball of foot (if I understand it right).  The ankle is the most efficient lever in the body, surely you aren't using it effectively if you are not "pushing off" - or am I missing something?

I am little confused about your advice to pick feet up rather than push off with ball of foot (if I understand it right).  The ankle is the most efficient lever in the body, surely you aren't using it effectively if you are not "pushing off" - or am I missing something?

If you lean forward slightly from the ankles (your levers) and simply pick up your feet, extending out the back with your legs, running can become a controlled fall instead of an act of using your calves/legs to push yourself forward.

My running form is mostly based on chirunning (note I don't believe in the CHI part, just the form), which I've found very complementary to running barefoot. Your milleage my vary and everything I always say is IMO (in my opinion).

Power Running vs ChiRunning

I think above all else you must be practical and adapt. Pushing off made me much more injury prone and sore so I have adapted this approach to resolve those issues. Of course it took me some significant effort (months) and being mindful to change my stride but I am now fully reaping the benefits.

I'm sure others here will have differing opinions, but choice is always good and I look forward to anything they may add or subtract.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Ok - thanks.

Ran a steady 6 this morning and then took the shoes off for a 1.5 mi BF.... much slower than first attempt.  Felt much better, calves not screaming at me! 

Think I just need to slow it down until my body gets used to it.  Aim is to increase to an easy 3 mi BF in the next week.

Purdey

Self anointed title

3 mi BF today.  Much, much better.  Kept pace just under 10 min/ miles.  No calf / foot pain.  Will build BF mileage steadily and only then look at increasing the pace.

Quite happy that just 5 days after my first attempt I have managed 3 mi.

Purdey

Self anointed title

2 mi easy BF this am followed by 5 mi BF in 36:40 on TM.

Quite happy to have progressed to 5 mi so quickly.  Not sure whether to work on pace, or increase distance next.

2 mi easy BF this am followed by 5 mi BF in 36:40 on TM.

Quite happy to have progressed to 5 mi so quickly.  Not sure whether to work on pace, or increase distance next.

You are a barefoot superstar.  All those miles probably help out too. You also may have a pretty sweet stride to begin with! Congrats on the quality ramp up.

For me, distance is something I can just hit a ceiling, then iterate from there, whereas pace is something I have to focus on and work at in order to float and stay relaxed.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You are a barefoot superstar.  All those miles probably help out too. You also may have a pretty sweet stride to begin with! Congrats on the quality ramp up.

For me, distance is something I can just hit a ceiling, then iterate from there, whereas pace is something I have to focus on and work at in order to float and stay relaxed.

Hardly a superstar - but I'm loving it so far.  It is very liberating.  I am a bit miffed that conditions outside mean that I am limited to the TM.

Definitely agree with you on distance \ speed from my very limited experience!

ebiss

Ran my first barefoot mile tonight out on the road.

Took it slow but it fealt great.  Definitely better to run out in the road where the traffic has worn the pavement. Had to scoot over to the side a couple of times to avoid traffic and it was a little painful, but bearable. 

I'm going to keep adding some barefoot miles to my workout until I can run better without shoes than I can with.

I am a bit miffed that conditions outside mean that I am limited to the TM.

Same here, well, I can't run barefoot in the snow.  Some do, but I can't.

So VFF it is.

Purdey

Self anointed title

So VFF it is.

VFF are getting some serious consideration... but they are so damned expensive in the UK.  About £80 - £85.

Duncan

Use the voucher code BAREFOOT for 25% off Fivefingers, Feelmax, Injinji and Jingas at lovethoseshoes.com

Tom, I'm not sure if this is still valid or not - could run up to Christmas.

VFF are getting some serious consideration... but they are so damned expensive in the UK.  About £80 - £85.

Yeah that's some serious money. I got mine for about £50, but that's in the States. Still not cheap, but definitely cheaper.

Barefootin

Purdey that does seem expensive,  In context they will last 4-5 times longer than your 80 pound running shoes.  Overall the VFF's are great value.