Barefoot Runners

Go.... Aqua Socks! (Read 2700 times)

Hi everyone,  just wanted to say that I too am experiencing the animalistic pleasures of running barefoot.  I see alot about VFFs, but those are just wayy too expensive for a college mooch like me.  Instead, I'm occasionally running in these aqua socks called "Sockwa" that I bought for 12 bucks.   The grip is not too intense but not slippery, which I like, and their durability has yet to be seen -so far (40 miles) so good.

Three different guys in cars said, 'hey, cool shoes' when I was on my run today! (Of course, they could have been more impressed with the girl attached to them  )

They are working out well for me, and they look fun IMO, so I wanted to pass on the info.  Cheers!

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. — Marie Curie
    Gig

I got my VFFs this weekend, and ran my first mile in them yesterday. It'll take a little bit of getting used to. I like having the layer of protection between my foot and the street, but it did seem like I could do with a little bit less. Maybe when I wear these down, I'll go with aqua socks, too. When I do, if a bunch of guys tell me I have cool shoes, I'll be pretty certain that they're talking about the shoes.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Aqua socks are pretty good.  Some are much lighter and softer than others.

For wet, cold weather they're better than VFFs, IMHO.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        nysooner1355

where did you get them? their website looks like you can only order them online and they were not $12 - but $24...
          Marylander

I run in aqua socks that I got at walmart for $1 a pair. I've got about 300 miles in the pair of them so far. I'll be looking for more cheapos like these in the fall when summer stuff goes on clearance... Wink I haven't given full on barefoot a try yet...

Kirk

Queen of 3rd Place

So I just spent the afternoon looking for aqua socks. I can recall having some 20 years ago that were very thin-soled and light. The only thing I could find today were really beefy ones!

Ex runner

Those look interesting. I like the idea of not having the individual toe pockets.

If I may ask, what is the width in the toe box like?  I cannot tolerate any kind of compression there, and that is why I won't run in the aquasocks that I've seen so far. But it's hard to tell from pix of these I found on Google.  Thanks...

Marylander

I can only say that the cheapos I bought at walmart fit my wide feet (I was wearing NB size 9EEE shoes before these). They are kind of form fitting and I think that's actually what you want them to be...

Kirk

jeffdonahue

I have to admit I had NO idea what aqua socks were, so I had to go look them up.  Turns out we just call them water shoes and the whoel family owns a pair or two (cheapos from Walmart/Target of course) that we use when we go to water parks and sometimes at the beach.  I just got a new pair when we were down at hershey for wearing in their water park area (though I ended up going barefoot the second day because the park was remarkably clean).

Maybe I'll toss those on tonight for a mile or two and see how they feel.  I do remember that they felt pretty good when i had to make a quick jog back to the locker to get sunscreen when we were at Hershey.

Professional Antagonist

I used aqua socks when I started barefoot running.  They are excellent choices for winter running, and you can't beat the price!

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

I got a pair of Sockwa's and they seem uncomfortably tight around the ankles.  Has anyone else noticed that?  Will they loosen in time?   Thx.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After reading in Barefoot Kenbob's runningbarefoot.org about multi-time AAU champion from 20K - marathon barefoot runner Charlie  Robbins usin' aquasocks for winter runs, etc. I tried 'em out too and liked being able to tuck the inexpensive aquasocks in a fanny pack to use as needed.  The neoprene/rubber material kept feet warm in winter rain too and I used them for about 20 marathons.

However, they get pretty hot in the summer so I tucked them into my fanny pack for a 10-mile trail run in July 2005 wondering how far I could get in the flipflops I was wearing for the drive up to Cougar Mountain.  Amazingly, they stayed on not only on all the ascents but also on some major screaming downhlll sections too.

Since then, they've got me through rough sections on trail runs of 50K, 50 mile and 100K.

picture of charlie and his winter aquasocks.

http://www.kidsrunning.com/news/krmanchesterbrowne.html

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

JBLat

I live in Eastern europe and can't seem to get a hold of a pair in my country.  I would like to order a pair from the States but can't tell if the particular water sock has a support or a thick sole etc...  Is there a cheap product that you would suggest?

By the way, what do you think of something like this XS Scuba 2mm Low Top Titanium Socks.html or this  BILLABONG SAMURAI 2MM SEALED SOCK BOOT?

tetsujin - I'm just a couple of miles from Cougar Mtn.! How about that for "small world?"  Smile

JBLat - The scuba sock looks good. I think the second one, the boot, would limit your flexibility too much.  

For anyone who is interested...   I have to say, the Sockwa's are *not* warm.  The tops are a stretchy fabric, not neoprene.  I'll probably end up wearing them when I want to be barefoot in public places without offending people: grocery stores, restaurants, etc.  The bottoms are slippery so be careful.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin - I'm just a couple of miles from Cougar Mtn.! How about that for "small world?"  Smile

forward - at $65 for tomorrow's DOR, it's getting too expensive for a half mary, to say nothing of the retiring the barefoot logo I liked so much, but the Labor Day Jock'n'Jill Half Marathon mostly on the Sammamish Slough bike paths is one of the few barefoot friendly runs around here.  Look for another pair of bare feet in case your schedule permits.

eta - no particular reason forward but do you have a pair of red thongs?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)