Barefoot Runners

The future of Vibrams: Possible perfection of "barefooting" shoes or eventual downfall of the concept? (Read 298 times)

I knew this would happen. 

When the KSO first came out I said to myself, “Vibram is going to keep changing these shoes and keep changing these shoes until one day, 20 models later, they are not good for barefooting anymore!”

Don’t get me wrong, the KSO is great and they may get even closer to perfection with the Glove. But is perfection enough for Vibram?  Is the best barefooting shoe out there their ultimate goal?  Or is it $$$

A Double Edge Sword:

The ever growing popularity of the VFF is a positive thing for many reasons.  More stores are carrying them.  More colors are coming out.  More people know what they are and this lessens the deluge of questions when you wear them in public.  Also, Vibram is working on improving the model and coming out with new versions for different occasions but…

Will they stay true to the “barefoot” style?  Well, they are a business.  They certainly don’t have to stay true.  As long as they are making gobs of money they can pretty much create whatever they want.

Here are some new models in the works:

"I am not saying that I dislike these new models (i do think they look cool) but what is next?  Maybe add some gel pads or an air cushion system?"

Yes it’s cool to have different versions and such for variety.  And sure, not all VFF have to be for barefoot running.  No problem with having VFF for fashion, but let us consider what could happen next if these new models sell like hot cakes:

Oh lets add some arch support now.

Maybe add a bit of cushioning? 

How bout some stability? 

What about people who overpronate? 

Should we include some motion control mechanisms in the next model, ect...

Get the idea... next thing you know the newest version of the VFF looks like a 5 toed Asics Kayano!

Sometimes companies get overzealous on a product that is doing well and they change it up too much, end up ruining it, and on top of that they discontinue the models that did work well!

Well if things do go to shit and my beloved KSO become extinct I can always… go barefoot! Woot!

What say you?

The right path is my path.

Imminent Catastrophe

I think they'll make whatever sells.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The first thing people notice is always the toes, but to me the toes are irrelevant.  I'd be just as happy, maybe even happier, without the separate toes. 

All that matters to me is the thinness and flexibility of the sole.

Not that I've used my VFFs in months.  And come winter, I'm thinking I'll make myself some moccasins.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.