Barefoot Runners

Moleskin is awesome! (Read 748 times)

Half Fanatic #846

A week or so ago for some reason, I developed sort of a blood blister (not fully developed) the size of a dime on the bottom of my right foot under the forefoot area, which made me limp for awhile.  I was thinking "crap, there goes my barefoot running for awhile", but then I decided to experiment.  I put a piece of moleskin big enough to cover the blister on it and went for a 4 mile BF run on asphalt roads a couple of days after that.  (I took a second piece of moleskin with me just in case the 1st one came off - then I could put on the spare one & make it back to the house okay, but I didn't need it).  The original moleskin started to get a little "raggedy" around the edges, but it stayed on well, protected my blister, and allowed me to run barefooted.  A couple of days later I did 6 miles BF and once again the moleskin stayed on.  Then today I went 10 on a partly wet asphalt bike trail and it stayed on even though it got wet. My blister is healing normally and I can probably get back to no moleskin on it in a couple more days.  I was really happy that this blister did not stop me from running BF!

Just thought this "discovery" might be of use  to anyone who has a small foot injury like a blister or small cut, etc. -  maybe it could help you get out the door and heal at the same time like it did me!  If there's one thing I hate, it's not being able to run, and this really made my week!! 

Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Angrycould you stop complaining about your stupid foot for a moment a think about those poor moles walking around without any skin! Cry

sorry bout that i just felt like laughing.

srsly though, ive heard its great stuff but never actually used it. im always trying to get medical tape to stay on and it never does. ill have to pick some up, thanks!

Half Fanatic #846

Angrycould you stop complaining about your stupid foot for a moment a think about those poor moles walking around without any skin! Cry

You crack yourself up! Big grin

BTW, those "poor moles" tear up my yard, so I don't feel sorry for them - plus, here in Florida they don't need to keep warm like they do in Illinois...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have used moleskin for the occasional blister on my toe, but it tended to fall off mid-run.  Glad it's working for you.

Half Fanatic #846

I have used moleskin for the occasional blister on my toe, but it tended to fall off mid-run.

Right - I think moleskin is best suited for larger, flatter areas - bandaids do seem to work pretty well on the toes, though.