Barefoot Runners

How is your winter running going? (Read 644 times)

jeffdonahue

I was a little disappointed in myself today.  I went out for a run in an area that I hadnt run in a while.  It was sunny and cold but not freezing (acctually, not too bad when the wind wasnt blowign).  But since we have a lot of snow around, I wore my VFFs.  When I was done I wished that I had run at least part of it barefoot.  Oh well, maybe this weekend if it doesnt snow again.

Certainly Something...

Starting back in this week.  Winter running is going well, no traction issues on all the ice because I" really put a lot of stock into Place foot down, pick foot directly up" so there is no force in any direction but straight down which doesn't slide unless it's steep.  But I'm going really slow, so I'm sure it's a bit harder once you speed up Smile  Plus my elevation change on my route is a whopping 3 feet slow up then back down over two miles.

Only went a mile today.  10 degrees F and 15 miles an hour wind was too cold in just sprints for me.  I couldn't tell if my feet were gonna get warmer because of blood flow or frostbite so I came back home after half a mile out.  Personal victory of I went outside today though!  Now I know I can at least make a mile in this temperature.

jeffdonahue

And apparently I ran too far in my VFFs this week cause the top of my right foot hurt last night.
        Running in Socks

This winter just sucks.  I had to run my last two marathons in shoes, and my IT band really hurt after each of them. 

I may attempt a marathon in socks (several pair of socks) in a few days.  We have quite a bit of snow up here in Boone, NC and it's been below 20 degrees with the windchill making it feel close to 0 some days.   I'll be running a 3.75-Mile out-and-back 7 times, so I think I may run the 3.75 miles, then warm up in my truck before going out again.  If I end up running, I'll let you guys know how it went.

I can't wait for Spring.  Running in shoes is just awful.

Running in Socks

This winter just sucks.  I had to run my last two marathons in shoes, and my IT band really hurt after each of them. 

I may attempt a marathon in socks (several pair of socks) in a few days.  We have quite a bit of snow up here in Boone, NC and it's been below 20 degrees with the windchill making it feel close to 0 some days.   I'll be running a 3.75-Mile out-and-back 7 times, so I think I may run the 3.75 miles, then warm up in my truck before going out again.  If I end up running, I'll let you guys know how it went.

I wore a pair of SwiftWicks and an old pair of SmartWools for my snow marathon.  The temperatures were around the mid-20s, and wearing socks really helped keep the feet warm.  I took my socks off and ran barefoot for about 4 miles, and it wasn't unbearable, but 8 miles may have cost me a toe or two.

I was surprised to see that I didn't have any holes in my socks after the run.  3.75 miles were done barefoot, and 3.75 miles were done in shoes, so the socks lasted 18.75 miles in the snow without forming any holes.

Snow accumulated on the bottoms of my socks and I had to stop a lot to brush them off (they felt like rocks).  Other than having to watch my step and having to stop more than usual to brush off my feet, it felt like most of the other shoeless marathons I've run.

I'd highly recomend it for running in the snow.

I am running in my VFF in the exact same conditions that you are having. I live in South West Virginia. It may be a good idea for you to get a pair of minimalist shoes for when it is cold. This way you don't have to run in those overbuilt shoes.

Eternal Rookie

I’ve been running 4 times a week. Two of those runs in VFF for 45 minutes for the last 10 weeks which ends up being between 5 and 6 miles depending upon intensity. The top of my left foot (the one that I broke the third metatarsal back in August) has never totally felt right on the run after the VFF in Frees 5.0; but usually, not always, okay during the VFF run. So, is it running in the VFF that is irritating the foot for the next run, or is it going semi shodded that makes it hurt.  I walked then walked/jogged in them 12 times over 6 weeks before running. The cold (as low as 23o here) has not been a factor.

Event

Distance

Duration

Entries

Run

106.5 Mi

14:40:38

Event

Distance

Duration

Entries

Run

130.3 Mi

19:56:36

Running in Socks

I am running in my VFF in the exact same conditions that you are having. I live in South West Virginia. It may be a good idea for you to get a pair of minimalist shoes for when it is cold. This way you don't have to run in those overbuilt shoes.

Thanks for the suggestion.  If the winter gets any worse, I'll probably cave and buy a pair of them. 

Running in Socks

I ran a 50K today in socks.  I was 11 minutes off of a PR (5:20), and somehow ran the entire distance.  There was very little snow on the course because of the warm week we've had in Boone.

I hope everyone else had and took advantage of a warm week!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Just coming off of a sprained ankle...

I did my first-ever barefoot runs this week. 1 to 2 miles on the indoor track at my YMCA (in Detroit, MI).

Feeling good and really looking forward to Spring for some barefoot miles outdoors.

In the meantime, I'm wearing my VFF KSOs whenever I can't be barefoot and don't need other shoes (client meetings and longer runs). I have some Teva Protons that I'll use a couple of times a week (outdoors) now that I'm able to run a bit again.

Just received some Ninja boots (jiki-tabi) that I thought might work well. But, the soles are too stiff for me. <sigh>

Liz

pace sera, sera