Barefoot Runners

Nike Free thoughts (Read 764 times)

I've been considering moving to barefoot running, but want to take it slow.  What are all your thoughts on the Nike Free shoes as a first step?

Nike Frees are nothing like running barefoot, and won't do anything to make the transition easier. You should take it slow, but with your shoes off. Being able to feel the ground is very important to the learning process.
        Nike Frees are nothing like running barefoot, and won't do anything to make the transition easier. You should take it slow, but with your shoes off. Being able to feel the ground is very important to the learning process.

From my understanding they do help strengthen calves and feet. However, I would agree about just doing some barefoot or minimalist running and not going for the frees. Mostly, because why spend the money?

From my understanding they do help strengthen calves and feet. However, I would agree about just doing some barefoot or minimalist running and not going for the frees. Mostly, because why spend the money?

Calves and feet are going to get stronger anyway. I would argue that running barefoot requires learning (being taught be the nerve endings of our soles) more than muscular development.

I do remember the Frees being very comfy. Too bad they have that wedge sole.

Well, the Free 3.0 supposedly only has a 4mm rise.

As someone still switching to barefoot, I like the Free Run +.  I wear them intermittently and definitely on longer runs.  I was able to keep up my mileage while still strengthening my feet for the barefooting.  

If you don't mind starting from scratch distance-wise, then scrap the shoes and go cold turkey.  If you want a gradual transition into barefooting, then the Free might be a good shoe.  I certainly like it!

Huaraches Maker

I used to LOVE my Frees... have 3 pairs of them, in fact.

But once I got into being ACTUALLY barefoot (or in huaraches), I can barely wear them anymore. They, like almost any other shoe with that much of a heel, feels, well, wrong.

I had a friend who used to run 5Ks in his Frees and swore by them. He had a similar experience to mine... when he got used to really being barefoot, he never went back to his Frees.

-S

Half Fanatic #846

They, like almost any other shoe with that much of a heel, feels, well, wrong.

After running barefoot more and more, I find that I dislike  ANY  "regular" shoe, although once in awhile I do have to wear them.  The "running shoes" I was born with are the absolute best - barefooting makes them perfect, even tho one of my feet has "physical defects". 

But, since I'm only running about 50-60% of  my mileage BF right now, the reality of it for me is that I still wear Nike Free 3.0 or Brooks Green Silence, but for less and less of my running as time goes on.  I have much older feet than most of you, but if I were a lot younger maybe I would "push it more" - or maybe I just wouldn't want to.  If I tried to go BF all the time now I would (a) become injured, and/or (b) have to cut my mileage back a lot.  Like gethuaraches friend, I'm still in the process of getting "used to really running barefoot".  After that, who knows? 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!