Barefoot Runners

PF, Achilles tendonitis, and Posterior Tibial Tendonitis (Read 734 times)

pitrunner

These have been the various injuries I've been battling off and on over the last 3 years. Has anyone here had success in treating or reducing any of these with barefoot running?

I've had success in holding those injuries off and not getting them...does that count?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Skooter 3.0

My understanding is that the vast majority of Achilles Tendonitis is caused by a combination of heel striking and worn out shoes. In my (meager!) experience, running barefoot doesn't put any extra pressure on your achilles at all, and actually seems to alleviate any tightness issues there, but I also never had major issues there.

Goals?

pitrunner

I've had success in holding those injuries off and not getting them...does that count?

Ha, well no it doesn't really help me out any, but good for you! 

pitrunner

My understanding is that the vast majority of Achilles Tendonitis is caused by a combination of heel striking and worn out shoes. In my (meager!) experience, running barefoot doesn't put any extra pressure on your achilles at all, and actually seems to alleviate any tightness issues there, but I also never had major issues there.

I'm not sure what the root of all my evil seems to be, but at this point I'm at my wits end and ready to try anything.  Thanks!

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I know of many people who successfully defeated PF through barefoot running. 

I don't know specific examples of achilles or tibial tendonitis.  But barefoot running places far less impact on your joints, so it can only help.

My only caution would be that if your achilles is actively inflamed, take it very slowly.  Lots of beginning barefooters overwork their calves and achilles until they learn to relax, and until the calves can loosen and lengthen.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                I think I have Posterior Tibial Tendonitis and an occasional twinge of PF (though I've honestly never been to a doctor to be diagnosed). The PF only occurred after I switched to VFF running and only recurs when I try to take things to fast or increase me distance too much. The PTT started before I made the switch and is a chronic issue for me. I can only hold it off by running slower than I would like, and very slowly increasing distance. It pisses me off on a daily basis basically.
                Relax, Relax, Relax
                pitrunner

I think I have Posterior Tibial Tendonitis and an occasional twinge of PF (though I've honestly never been to a doctor to be diagnosed). The PF only occurred after I switched to VFF running and only recurs when I try to take things to fast or increase me distance too much. The PTT started before I made the switch and is a chronic issue for me. I can only hold it off by running slower than I would like, and very slowly increasing distance. It pisses me off on a daily basis basically.

Well that sucks. My PF has been under control for almost 2 years now, but other issues keep cropping up and I suspect they're all related. It's only happening on the left side of my body! PTT is the latest and worst injury I've had so far. If it heals up I guess I'll give barefoot a try.

Thanks for sharing!