Barefoot Runners

Aches and pains - to be expected or sign of bad form? (Read 384 times)

srunnels

I'm on my second round of trying Couch to 5K.  For a long time, I was fond of saying that I only ran if I was being chased by a dog and even then it was 50/50.  But, between a desk job, a 2 year old, and the constant upwards trending of weight, I decided the best way to get into shape would be to increase mobility.  Went out, bought a "good pair of shoes" and made it to about week 3 or 4 of the program before it felt like someone was banging lead pipes into my shins with every foot strike.  I quit running and spent time trying to find sources that would help me avoid shin splints.  For the longest time the only answers I could find dealt with managing the pain/symptoms and not the cause.  A sports trainer even told me to ice my shins before and after each run which, to me, seemed like being told to just numb the body part and run through the pain!

I happened to find a side commentary somewhere online talking about barefoot running and how it helps minimize painful injuries.  After a good month or so of wearing VFFs everywhere but at work and some very light practice jogs, I'm back to week two of C25k while running in vibrams and trying some of the techniques from ChiRunning.  There's still some pain but it's more like dull aches.  The pains in my shins are smaller sections instead of the whole shin and instead of blinding pain they're more subtle and usually only noticeable when I touch them.  Yesterday, it felt like I was really getting the form down.  I was using quicker, more pitter-patter steps, it felt like my feet were landing under or slightly behind my center of gravity and my slight lean felt natural, from the ankles, and even comfortable!  I started to feel more work from my calves and hamstrings and not as much pressure on my shins.  However, last night I noticed some very slight swelling around my ankles and some tenderness - again, like sore muscles.  I'm hoping it's simply because those muscles aren't used to the work out and the "lean from the ankles" aspect of my posture.  

One thing I've not been able to find is a definitive guide of "aches and pains" associated with beginning to run barefoot.  I'm gun shy about getting injured and having to back off for a significant period of time, but I'm having difficulty distinguishing "injury" from "aching" associated with muscle work.  Anyone able to give some insight or first hand experiences?

-Scott

Queen of 3rd Place

There's no secret here, it's almost always a case of "too much, too soon, too fast", and what's "too" is very individual. Slow down, do less, and don't forget that it's ok to repeat a week of C25K. Maybe do week one over until you don't have pain.

You really do have to go painfully, embarrassingly slow when you first start running. Slow down...then slow down even more. You'll feel like little old ladies with walkers can blow by you. Then you're going slow enough. Sorry to hammer on this, but I really feel like I can't stress this enough.

That being said, some soreness is normal, although I would be concerned about any visible swelling and pain on the shins.

Meanwhile, come here often, make your log public, lurk, ask questions, and be patient! You can do this.

Ex runner

jeffdonahue

What I would worry about with trying to do the C25K program is that from what I remember you are out there for a half hour, slowly building up the amounts that you run each time.  For most people when starting running BF, you have to start really slowly, like .1 miles for a few days and then build up from there.

I tried starting at a distance that I thought was short - 2 miles.  Two days after I was hobbling around.  I eventually went back down adn started at .1 miles at the beginning of every run for a bit and then increasing it every few runs, but only by another .1 miles. 

Not that I am an expert, and to tell you the truth I am suffering from TMTS (tto much too soon) right now again.  I jumped up from a long BF run last week of 4.1 miles to 5 miles this week and I am really feeling it today.  Hopefully my feet will feel better on Thursday and I will get a few more miles in, but it happens to all of us.

Professional Antagonist

When discussing pains associated with starting barefoot running, I find it useful to use this guideline:  If it feels like muscle soreness after lifting weights, it's generally okay.  Every other pain should be treated very conservatively.  I agree that C25K can be a bit too aggressive for a brand new BFR.  I would recommend this plan instead. 

Note: I wrote the plan, so I am a bit biased.

Also, VFFs aren't barefoot.  I'd also recommend going barefoot to take advantage of the sensory feedback your soles will provide.  Activating that neural pathway can be a huge advantage when learning good form.  VFFs block that neural pathway.  Once you achieve good form (or make it through stage five of the linked plan), you can start using the VFFs in moderation.  If you continue to use them, you will extend the learning process.

Hope some of that helps, and good luck! 

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site