Barefoot Runners

Ouch, How do They do It? (Read 398 times)

So, I did my first real trail run today. I wore my Huaraches, and oh my god do my feet hurt. I don't see how people run trails like this. Roads are one thing, but rocky trails kill my feet. Right now, I am sitting here icing my feet hoping that I can run again tomorrow.

Half Fanatic #846

My 1st trail run was about 4 miles, not rocky, and I was wearing running shoes.  My body was sore for several days.  You went almost 7 miles on your first trail run (at least in a long time) in huraches on a rocky surface, got injured, and plan to run the very next day.  Seriously?  Under those circumstances, I think I would take a few days off  (maybe X-train a little or swim), then start back with a plan to build up trail mileage with just a little at a time.  Today I was looking forward to running and getting a certain amount of mileage in for the week, but my feet are sore (bruised soles) so It's a rest day - I'll ride my bike instead. That way I can do my long run tomorrow.  Sometimes in order to run more, you have to run less - that's my experience anyway!  Trail running is fun and unlike the road, practically every trail run is a good one.  Hang in there! 

BTW, Congrats on the weight loss - that's awesome!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I am not injured per se, just sore. I did decide that running today is a bad idea. Thank you for the congrats. It has been a long long road up until this summer, and finally everything seems to be clicking. Only minor injuries (tendinitis) here and there as compared to various serious problems over the past 1.5 yrs (shin splints so bad it hurt to walk for that entire time).

EDIT: Not too shabby on your own weight loss.

Half Fanatic #846

...various serious problems over the past 1.5 yrs (shin splints so bad it hurt to walk for that entire time).

If you can continue with the huraches and barefooting, and ease into the trail stuff - eventually getting to your 40 mpw goal (my goal too) - those shin splints and other problems may never come back (maybe they're gone already - you've got some decent mileage on those huraches).  I had shin splints and chronic plantar fasciitis until I started putting in some barefoot miles;  since then, no more running injuries.  

As far as weight, I seem to be stuck around 165 for the last couple of weeks.  Running takes care of itself - but I'll have to focus more on diet!

Now going outside for a BF walk with the mutt. 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

My shin problems started when I started running. I switched to VFF and it persisted, but I think that also had to do with moving into the mountains. Anyway, those shin issue have pretty much been history since the beginning of the summer. Almost everyone of those gaps in my running had to do with my shins (or midterms, or finals, or vacation).

Looks like I actually bruised the sole of my foot, so I am taking another day off. Hopefully, it will feel well enough tomorrow to run.

Those bruises still hurt, but I was able to run 4 miles today. The funny part, my sore muscles were a bigger factor in my speed today.