Barefoot Runners

Report: My Second BF Race (Read 433 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations on finishing the Buffalo Run!
    The following are your personal results:

Name: Larry Dietrich                       
    Distance: 5M 
    Time:   41:21 
    Pace:  8:17
    Overall Place: 201 of 621     
    Place in Gender: 141 of 301     
    Division M5559 Place: 11 of 26

I was nervous about doing this race barefoot because until now I hadn't run BF this far exclusively on blacktop, and also because I had run no course this hilly. The asphalt in general was a little nobbly, but there was little sharpness to it. Some of the concrete I run on is sharper. Some of the asphalt is, too, but fortunately, not these roads. As for the hills, I just kept on chugging, trying to keep my stride short and my cadence fast. Cardio-wise, I had a lot more in reserve than this demanded; for my feet's sake, I just didn't think it was wise to push to my limit.

Happy with the result, although it is significantly slower than the same race, shod, last year (a 7:34 pace).

People were commenting on my bare feet, of course, mostly whispered to others ("Look, he's barefoot!"). One guy asked me about it as we were running the race; he bet I have to watch out for glass shards. I told him acorns are a bigger threat. Smile

Half Fanatic #846

How could you possibly beat those other people?  You're gonna ruin your feet!  Wink

Really though, that's totally awesome! - and your second BF race this summer.  I guess I'm a big chicken so far when it comes to racing.  I'm afraid the course or pavement will be too rough, that I'll tear up my feet by racing, blah, blah, blah...I have to work on the mental aspect now.  Having a 5K PR of 29:02 doesn't help either!  But there's a couple of races this fall on pavement I'm familiar with (5K, 10K, & 15K) so that's my plan now.  After that I should be OK.

Thanks for the report and giving me more incentive!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Don't worry, you'll get faster.

Did you feel like you were holding back to be easy on your feet?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How could you possibly beat those other people?  You're gonna ruin your feet!  Wink

Really though, that's totally awesome! - and your second BF race this summer.  I guess I'm a big chicken so far when it comes to racing.  I'm afraid the course or pavement will be too rough, that I'll tear up my feet by racing, blah, blah, blah...I have to work on the mental aspect now.  Having a 5K PR of 29:02 doesn't help either!  But there's a couple of races this fall on pavement I'm familiar with (5K, 10K, & 15K) so that's my plan now.  After that I should be OK.

Thanks for the report and giving me more incentive!

I drove over there the week before to scope out the pavement. Also, I brought my shoes along to the race so I had the option of chickening out at the last minute. After my pre-race warmup jog, though, I felt like it was doable.

I think you're got to suppress any thought of being fast in your first few races and run them as similarly to practice runs as possible. As long as you know you can run that distance BF, there's no reason you can't do the same in a race. Yes, getting carried away in the race atmosphere could pose a danger; you'll have to figure out how to avoid succumbing to that.

This is kind of like starting over with running; I have my earlier PRs, and now my BF PRs. Almost worth re-registering on RA with a new persona. But not really.

MTA: The other challenge is being the weirdo hippie who's running without shoes. Runners as well as non-runners don't understand why you'd do such a thing.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Did you feel like you were holding back to be easy on your feet?

Absolutely. It's frustrating, but I think worth it in the long run.

Thats awesome.

I hope to be able to compete the run leg of a Triathlon barefoot in the future. I'd be able to shave some time in the T2 and could probably manage the same pace by that time in a race. Its not like you are fresh and ready to run a PR 5k pace after the swim and bike portions.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life