Barefoot Runners

Galloway: It's a fad that causes injuries every day (Read 944 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Jeff Galloway doesn't approve of minimalist running.  Old-school shoe dealers (like Galloway) and podiatrists have a hard time turning their thinking 180 degrees.

I'm on his email list.  I would post a link, but couldn't find the same article on his website, so here's the text from the email.

Many runners who own one of the minimal and exotic shoes that have popped up on today's market will tell you that these shoes have solved their running problems.  I hear the other side of this issue, about every day, from those who have been injured (often severely) by using these products or by running barefooted.  Many have to stop running for 4 to 6 months.  Thousands have reported significant problems.

I've seen this fad come and go 5 times during my 52 years of running.  Something will come out in the media about minimal support/barefooted running, and thousands will try it.  About a third of those who try it run for short distances and like the tingle of the feet so they run more.  Without support, the distance or the surface of the run will often cause an injury--including a number of serious ones such as stress fractures. Each fad cycle ends when those injured tell other runners about their experience--so that very few want to put themselves at risk.

Minimal shoe/barefooted running has it's place if the foot can handle it:  Short runs when running on a safe surface can give the foot a bit more strength and develop a lighter touch.  Unfortunately, there are lots of risks on most running surfaces: pieces of glass, medal or rock--hidden below even the most groomed grass surfaces.  There are also lots of surface irregularities that can produce serious trauma injuries in one step.

I find the part about seeing BF injuries every day pretty farfetched.  For every BF injury he sees, there have got to be ten that happen in the "corrective" shoes.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

LL

http://www.runblogger.com/2011/07/dr-mark-cucuzzellas-reply-to-jeff.html

this is a BF Podiatrist's reply to Jeff,  

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

...and interestly, Jeff Galloway also reports there is no benefit to stretching either, but I digress.

Here's a thoughtful response that I found interesting at http://www.runblogger.com/2011/07/dr-mark-cucuzzellas-reply-to-jeff.html.

MTA: Dang, you beat me to it!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

...and interestly, Jeff Galloway also reports there is no benefit to stretching either, but I digress.

Here's a thoughtful response that I found interesting at http://www.runblogger.com/2011/07/dr-mark-cucuzzellas-reply-to-jeff.html.

MTA: Dang, you beat me to it!

just by a couple of minutes! Could be because I had the link in my paste buffer after posting it in a local BF Meetup group! LOL

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

<posted in the wrong thread, intended to post here>

Marylander

LL

http://www.runblogger.com/2011/07/dr-mark-cucuzzellas-reply-to-jeff.html

this is a BF Podiatrist's reply to Jeff,  

Mark is a general practitioner, not a podiatrist. He has a practice in Harpers Ferry, WV he also owns a minimalist shoe store nearby (Shepherdstown, WV). He looked at my daughter's shin and IT band issues for free in the store...

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Mark is a general practitioner, not a podiatrist. He has a practice in Harpers Ferry, WV he also owns a minimalist shoe store nearby (Shepherdstown, WV). He looked at my daughter's shin and IT band issues for free in the store...

whoops - didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction!

bob e v