Barefoot Runners

Nasty, thorny nature (Read 684 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Last night I jumped off the road to avoid a car (stupid aggressive drivers on curvy country roads), blinded by their high beams.  And i landed on a giant pile of what I think were horse chestnuts. 

This is the worst thing I have ever stepped on.  I have dozens of thorns in both feet, ranging from quarter inch down to wispy, hairlike ones that itch like crazy.  They're extremely fine, piercing even my heels.  So far I've managed to get about half of them out.

This happened seven miles into a twelve mile run.  I finished anyway.

Next time somebody tells you that we're only meant to run barefoot on "natural" surfaces, you might want to remind them how brutal nature can be.  I'll take the city any day.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Ouch!

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah. ouch.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Prince of Fatness

Looks like sweetgum, but yeah, ouch.

Not at it at all. 

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

That makes me wince just looking at it. OUCH!

TRUST THE PROCESS

When do we get to see pictures of your feet, and the size of the thorns you pulled out.

And, OUCH.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ooh, and I thought the occasional cocklebur was bad.  My sympathy.

Good Gawd, are we sure those aren't some nasty invention by an irate shod runner who has had it with all these barefooters?

I keed, I keed.

On a barefoot nerd note, being able to run an additional five miles on thorned-up feet without aggravation is a good form check.

Still, ouch. Nature sucks.

No pictures, it never happened. And even then it is doubtful.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yeah, I should have taken a picture. 

I did go back and find that damn tree.  It's not horse chestnut, it's sweet chestnut, which is even nastier looking:

I'm back to running, though there are still some residual bits that I haven't been able to get out yet.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

On a barefoot nerd note, being able to run an additional five miles on thorned-up feet without aggravation is a good form check.

It was pretty horrible, but I did manage to avoid damaging anything else.  I was afraid my gimpy form would lead to other problems, but apparently I held it together well enough.  Though it was a slow five miles.

Oh roo roooo!

I was going to say, your first photo is indeed a horse chestnut, as we have one in our yard, but the description of the tiny hair-like thorns in your feet did not fit...you found something WAY worse!  Holy cows!  Hope you recover soon and completely.  Man, that is ugly....

It was pretty horrible, but I did manage to avoid damaging anything else.  I was afraid my gimpy form would lead to other problems, but apparently I held it together well enough.  Though it was a slow five miles.

I've stepped on those as a kid. I think there's a piece still in my foot ;-)

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

keeponrunning

Ouch.   That pretty much sums it up in my brain.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I'm still chewing on the 12-mile barefoot run!  I'm up to about 2.3 miles at a time, and then I need a day off afterward!

Matt

2010 Races:
                                March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
                                May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
                                June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
                                June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
                                September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
                                September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)