Barefoot Runners

A couple newbie questions (Read 245 times)

From people that run predominantly barefoot I would LOVE to know two things. What was the biggest factor that led to your decision to go barefoot? Secondly, how long did it take till you could maintain a comparable mileage barefoot to what you did before?
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Biggest factor was preventing chronic injuries. Although at this point I also just think it's fun. It was not a sudden break for me, so it's hard to answer the question about how long it took. I just mixed more and more minimally shod and then barefoot running into my training. I felt better right from the beginning, in terms of reduced impact and chronic pains going away. That alone helped me keep my mileage up more consistently than before. Even now after 21 months I wouldn't say I'm "done" becoming a barefoot runner. But over the past month I decided to go entirely without even my FiveFingers, and I'm finding it pretty comfortable. I should break 40 miles this week, all barefoot on concrete, pavement, brick, stone, rubble, etc.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

It was a dealing-with-a-chronic-injury thing for me. I made a sudden jump, and it took me about a month to get my miles back... but that was getting back up to 10, so take that for what it's worth. Also, I use a treadmill almost exclusively.

Roads were made for journeys...

Duncan

Definitely as a method of avoiding chronic injury. I'm only two months into running not quite barefoot but in aqua shoes, I've been encouraged by the way my feet have strengthened up but estimate that it will be at least a year before I'm satisfied. My mileages have remained pretty much the same but I was often injured before so I wasn't logging huge miles anyway. My legs and knee's are significantly happier. I recommend trying bare footing but must emphasise it requires patience and a vision for the long term gain. I've got to add that it is genuine fun though and I can't bring myself to put on conventional running shoes any more.
            Thank you for your responses. They are very encouraging to me. For me, I have odd shaped feet. I can not find satisfaction with commercially available shoes. Also my feet need diffrenet support. My left foot is close to neutral and my right overpronates. Every time I would try to buy shoes I would be pushed in to more and more supportive shoes because of my right foot. Ironically I have almost no problems on my right side. However I seem to get a lot of nagging injuries on my left side. I work in an elementary school. I am often leading PE type activities. A month or two ago I was playing soccer with the kids. Many of them had their shoes off. This got me very curious so I tried it. I didn't miss my shoes at all until I put them back on. They felt like bricks afterwords. I was sore afterwords but amazingly nothing broke. So I tired it again. Each time I have gotten stronger. I love the feeling. I am now driven to make it feel like that every time I run.