Barefoot Runners

How is your winter running going? (Read 644 times)

How is your winter running going?

I've been doing well in my VFF flow's. They have been warm even in 6" of snow, but generally only get the blood flowing after the first mile. They still feel like a little too much sole, but other than that, they are perfect.

The outfit I typically don is tights, plus larger 8" shorts over the top, with a long sleeve heavy running long sleeve zip up (think long sleeve shirt but slightly thicker and skin tight, with a long sleeve wicking tee over the top of that.

I cover my head with a brooke's running hat and my hands with the cheap cotton gloves.  If it gets below 10F or so, I wear thicker gloves, but everything else stays the same.

I haven't had to get any more hardcore than this, even for runs of 15 miles or so.

The ice has not posed much of a problem and I can run over it straight forward without issues, it's only making turns around corners that I have to be very cognizant of where it is.

So how about you, how is your winter running coming along?

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jeffdonahue

Got my VFFs for Christmas - very excited.

I have been on a "one mile a day" recovery plan till the end of the year.  Tomorrow I start back into longer runs (probably just 3-4 miles to start) as I test my legs out because I was having some calf/achilles/PF issues in December.  They are feeling better.

My plan is to do as much of my runs as I can in my VFFs, but I got the KSOs and there is some rubbing on the inside of my left foot after about a mile or so, so I will have to take it slow in them and build up a tolerance in that area.  I have heard on other BF forums that this is typical and takes a few weeks to toughen up the area - just like any other shoes that used to give me blisters when I first try them.

Fingers crossed that everything feels good tomorrow.

Jeff

Professional Antagonist

I've been experimenting with winter BF running.  So far, so good.  I've done trail runs (4.25 miles) in snow and ice without problem.  If the temps drop below 25 or so, I use my KSOs.  I'm running a 4 mile race today (BF), and a 10k tomorrow.  We'll see what the weather is like tomorrow...

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

MojoJojo

It's going great for me... running more than ever, training to survive my 1st 50K in Arizona (4.8 + the pf chang marathon).  Not doing the 50K barefoot/minimal though Sad ... hoping to be ready for MT distance by next May (Fargo).

Escaped MN earlier this month for Vegas marathon... got married at mile 3 Smile  My face was actually on the preview image for the marathon highlight video on competitor.com.  It's still on this page:

http://running.competitor.com/2009/12/videos/rock-n-roll-las-vegas-marathon-and-half-marathon-highlight-video_7194
          ...Probably the only time this penguin will ever make the headlines.

On clothing-->

I may be going a bit overboard on clothes... usually start off hot, then in higher mileage it seems to pay off as I get colder...but maybe I'm getting colder because I sweat too much.  Most everything I wear is cheap stuff... target/walmart.  Doing a LOT of laundry... missing the days of wearing nothing but shorts.  I may be tempted to try going with less based on what I read here.

Head:
          Usually just a plain hat.  If it gets into the low teens, I break out a hat with a thin face cover.  Single digits or less with little wind, i use a smartwool face cover and thicker hat.  Below zero and windy, I break out the neoprene face cover and use the thin face cover with it.

Top:
          I've been using 2-4 layers on top (thin layers) depending on temp... outer layer usually being a windbreaker.  I even changed shirts & socks halfway through last 25 miler. 

Bottom:  I like to have 2 layers on the bottom... mostly so my jimmy don't freeze.  I've tried using an extra sock, but never seems to work out all that great.  2 layers seems to be nice on windy days... quads get a little cold.

Hands:

Socks Big grin

Feet:

Water shoes or old worn out shoes. 

Misc:

Camelbak on longer runs

Longest icicle on face cover so far:  1.5 inches

MojoJojo

Jeff, did you start barefoot/minimal running after your injury or did you get injured while barefooting?

I'm only curious because I sometimes come hear of someone getting injured barefooting, but have never actually heard a first-hand account.

Hope everything works out well for you as you start longer runs again.

Duncan

Similar to Rob.

I'm wearing KSO's with wool socks, they are fine in mud and snow. My feet do get wet but I find the wool does it's job well, the ice does make me wary though. I haven't slipped yet but do tense up!

Cheap £1 beanie on my head.

Two long sleeve wicking tops one of which is heavier. Tights with shorts that come down to just below my knee's. I battle to wear gloves but one of my tops has a thumb hole so the sleeve covers most of my hand anyway.

On the balance, having fun.

Duncan

My plan is to do as much of my runs as I can in my VFFs, but I got the KSOs and there is some rubbing on the inside of my left foot after about a mile or so, so I will have to take it slow in them and build up a tolerance in that area.  

Keep at it Jeff, I had some rubbing in this area but my feet toughened up very quickly.

jeffdonahue

Jeff, did you start barefoot/minimal running after your injury or did you get injured while barefooting?

I'm only curious because I sometimes come hear of someone getting injured barefooting, but have never actually heard a first-hand account.

Hope everything works out well for you as you start longer runs again.

I was injured (PF and achilles issues) back in July - BEFORE I really started BF running.  The calf issue was just some strain, but I was not really doing much BF when that happened cause of the cold weather.  Hoping that some more BF running will help it out.

Unfortunately, I've found that my VFF KSOs aren't good on the trails around here.  Too slippery.  Last week, I went only 1 mile out before turning around - it was so slippery that when I stopped running I actually slid sideways on the trail, for almost 2 feet, off the edge.  And as I was running my feet/toes would slip in the mud, too. So I'll go back to my summer/long distance Mizunos until the trails get dry. Bummer.  But I dont' think I want to try the Treks or (there's another VFF out there with more "grip") because of the high cost of the shoes.
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Imminent Catastrophe

FWIW the Treks are noticeably more grippy (and comfortable). You can see the tread pattern here:

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jeffdonahue

I went out yesterdayand while I still like my VFF KSOs, I am not so sure about the "keep stuff out" part of their name.  As I was running, the roads were wet and a bit snowy in parts, and at several points, I realized I had small pebbles in my VFF's - kind of defeats the purpose.  I just kept running anyway and did a nice 3 miler in them.  They do really help to run in the cold though.
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My gear sounds just like Rob's, except instead of VFF Flows I'm using Teva Protons. 

I took it pretty easy the last six weeks, which is pretty normal for me.  I like to have a lazy month or two this time of year. 

Now I'm starting up everyday running again.  Getting used to the Protons again was annoying, but I'm getting over it, and keeping my form pretty intact.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            I am using my flows. My toes are a bit cold with temps at -9C and -15C with wind chill, but it is not too too bad. I wear tights with shorts over them, a long sleeve cotton shirt and a mesh sleeveless under (prevents nipple chafe), and a wind shirt for the ultra cold. When it is as cold as it has been I put on a balaclava or a beanie. Definitely wearing gloves below 5C.

I can wear the VFF classics down to about 0C with no issues.

Unfortunately, they don't have a trek in my size. The flows I have are too big, but the toes are tight enough that it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Wonderful! Haven't had to run inside on the treadmill once even though this has been the coldest winter so far in a long time. I am daily running in snow and in single digits barefoot. It's taken 6 winters to build up this much.
                              Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
                                http://barefootrunner.org
                                FWIW the Treks are noticeably more grippy (and comfortable). You can see the tread pattern here:

Imagine seeing that without any knowledge of VFF.