Barefoot Runners

First haurache run (Read 670 times)

Marylander

I put together some hauraches from the invisible shoe kit and did my first run in them today. I've been running in a mix of water shoes mainly with some cheap NB trail shoes for the last three years and have recently bought and been given some "minimalist" shoes so I didn't really feel the need to transition into wearing the things. So, I went out for a standard one hour run today. Well, nature called and I ended up having to cut the run short anyway... Otherwise the run went fine. I ran on the C&O tow path (gravel and dirt) and my feet felt about the same in terms of ground feel as in my water shoes. I really liked the openness and expect to put some significant miles on them on hot days. Nothing like a breeze between the toes.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Glad you liked them. Question - did you get any pebbles between feet and sandal? Could be my form but I seem to get them coming in and out and sometimes staying there for me to remove! 

What tying style did you use? I have been using the classic Roman and am still learning not to tie to tight. Have gotten rubbing sores about 30% of the time. Drives DW crazy, but then she thinks BF running is crazy and my homemade sandals are even stranger than Vibrams! LOL

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I enjoy my huaraches, but yes, if they're not tied just right I either get cord-rubbing sores or blisters on my toes.  I still struggle to get it just right, so they're not used as often as they might be.  Yes, I occasionally get bits of gravel in them, but that hasn't been a significant problem for me.

Marylander

Bits of gravel came in and fell out. At least on that first run I didn't have to stop to remove any (which I have to do with the water shoes). I tied mine like this video invisible shoe put on youtube and ran the extra string around the heel a couple more times. They slip on tied this way. I didn't have any rubbing from the string. I did put the toe string hole in the wrong place on the right shoe so my smaller toes touch the edge a bit. I'll eventually fix that (moving the hole a bit towards the big toe side). I'll wear them again for today's run.

No run...need sleepy!

With all you crazy barefooters out there is there no one that runs in a simple sandal?

Obviously they don't give you the feel of the ground but to me it's about the next best thing to barefoot.

I've been tempted to try huaraches but I read commonly how not tying the straps just so will cause problems.  Finicky lacing seems a bit anti-minimalist.  So does searching for the right youtube video for instruction on how to tie my shoe.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

With all you crazy barefooters out there is there no one that runs in a simple sandal?

Obviously they don't give you the feel of the ground but to me it's about the next best thing to barefoot.

I've been tempted to try huaraches but I read commonly how not tying the straps just so will cause problems.  Finicky lacing seems a bit anti-minimalist.  So does searching for the right youtube video for instruction on how to tie my shoe.

Point taken, but that sandal doesn't look minimalist to me.  I think if I would sit down with my huaraches and re-lace them, they'd be fine, at least for shorter runs.  They are way quicker to put on than vibrams or shoes, so that I consider minimalist.  The only way for me to get out the door faster is truly barefoot.

No run...need sleepy!

Tell me why you think the sandal is not minimal.  In my admittedly novice view, it's seems to be ideal.  The soles are stiff so there's little cushion.  They're not designed for motion control or support or whatever any particular shoe is supposed to correct.  I wear them very loosely so my foot moves very much like it would if I were barefoot.  When I first started wearing them I definitely felt my feet/calves/shins come alive as most people who switch describe.

Is it mainly the thickness of the sole that blocks feeling the ground?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not dissin' on your sandals-they look pretty cool, but it does look like a heavy, stiff sole. Still, if the Tarahumara make theirs out of tire treads, that's a substantial sole as well. Seems to me to be truly minimal, the soles should flex freely and you should be able to feel pebbles under your feet. Of course, there are purists who would say my huaraches and Vibrams are to much shoe. Whatever works.

No run...need sleepy!

No worries.  That's not even the exact one I wear.  To be sure, I have no interest in a "my shoe is more minimal" pissing contest.  Even that seems counter to the spirit. I hardly have enough miles behind me to say one shoe is better than another.

I am still curious what people are wearing other than hauraches and VFFs.  I guess water shoes are the 2nd favorite "non running" shoe out there.

Sorry to threadjack.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Bits of gravel came in and fell out. At least on that first run I didn't have to stop to remove any (which I have to do with the water shoes). I tied mine like this video invisible shoe put on youtube and ran the extra string around the heel a couple more times. They slip on tied this way. I didn't have any rubbing from the string. I did put the toe string hole in the wrong place on the right shoe so my smaller toes touch the edge a bit. I'll eventually fix that (moving the hole a bit towards the big toe side). I'll wear them again for today's run.

Kirkroy - I started out with the slip on approach too, but did something wrong so after the third or fourth run tore the thing apart and just use the roman tying approach that is on one of the videos as well. Has been working for me, but still need to watch how tight I make it.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

No worries.  That's not even the exact one I wear.  To be sure, I have no interest in a "my shoe is more minimal" pissing contest.  Even that seems counter to the spirit. I hardly have enough miles behind me to say one shoe is better than another.

I am still curious what people are wearing other than hauraches and VFFs.  I guess water shoes are the 2nd favorite "non running" shoe out there.

Sorry to threadjack.

other than VFF & Huaraches, I use a pair of old Croc's that have near zero heel drop, are very light weight, and are less expensive than most running shoes. I've experimented with Tom's shoes which are even lighter and have zero heel drop, but I don't think they would hold up because of the way the upper is attached to the sole. Its about as thin as the Huaraches. And of course there is barefoot which is by far the cheapest approach! LOL but I need to get the soles tougher so I can increase mileage beyond 2 1/2.

bob e v

Marylander

I have run in a pair of sandals but dirt gets caught between the straps and my skin and acts like sandpaper. I suppose they would work on the road. I run in all kinds of different shoes: NB 905 (lightweight shoes with a significant heel to toe drop), NB MT101 (trail shoes which I love, significant heel to toe drop), NB Minimus (got for free from my brother), various water shoes, the hauraches (only on trails), and barefoot (only on the road). My form is essentially the same regardless of what I wear.

As far as different tying methods for the hauraches, well, I'm not sure my daughter will run with me if I do anything weirder looking than the method I'm using now. Wink This is important as she is my running partner and the main motivator for me at the moment.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I got over 4 in on the Huaraches this morning. Tried some running on crushed gravel side trails a couple of times and had very few pebble problems. Interesting how scattered pebbles on a HS track could pop up and stick, while all the pebbles on the trail did not. I could feel some pop in and out but it wasn't bothersome. Did get a hot spot on ball of left foot tho. I stopped at a bench to look and could see it would have blistered if soles hadn't been as worn/thickened as they are from walking BF around the house (being retired I'm able to spend a lot of time BF at my house and DD2's house) so I took them off and ran the last 1/4 BF. Soles still not thickened enough for trail running tho... not sure I'll get there. My goal is asphalt road bed for at least 10k. Could probably do it on concrete trail about now, but not on asphalt. 

bob e v

lexormike

I also got my first running sandals from invisibleshoe.com. The site helps me a lot on how to make the right pair for me and also give me some advice on how to run barefoot properly.

Fast Ninja

I just want to share how I tie my huaraches http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1827650223504&oid=186577394726204&comments or http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1827650223504&oid=186577394726204&comments enjoy i sprint with it