On the Bench

(Reluctantly) Taking a Week Off (Read 191 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

I've had some knee pain. It started last Tuesday after my run but felt OK Wednesday. I ran on Thursday, but again had pain after the run and on Friday. Saturday, I felt OK but it was really bothering me Saturday night and Sunday. So, I'm trying to be smart and haven't run since Saturday. Today is the first day since then that I haven't felt any pain from my knee. I'm forcing myself to not run for the rest of the week and see how I feel on Saturday. Even though I've only been running a short time (about 2.5 months) I'm really missing it! I'm continuing my strength/core training and not putting any strain on my knee. I'm also trying to figure out what caused it since this is the first indication of any pain I've had since I started running. I looked at the bottom of my shoes and notice that my right shoe (and the knee with pain) is wearing down faster than the left. I've only got about 100 miles on my shoes. Also, I run in the street along the curb, and I wonder if the slope is causing me be uneven? Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!! Robin

Robin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Robin. I've had to do that before, and it's so frustrating! You KNOW you're doing the right thing by taking some time off, but at the same time, you want to just go-go-go-go-go! Argh! I've started and stopped running a number of times over the years. Almost every time I've stopped it was just a month or two into running, and it was because of knee pain. This time, I've been at it for over a year. I did a few things differently this time. When I was still pretty new, my knees started feeling pain and stiffness. I would ice after every run (20 minutes). This actually was enough to keep the inflammation down enough that I could keep running. This phase went on for several months. Then, I switched over to heart-rate-monitor training and had to slow my pace waaaaay down. Guess what? I discovered that when I run 18 minute miles instead of 12 minute miles, my knee pain went away and didn't come back! I've started picking up the pace a bit this past month (14 - 16 minute miles) and I can feel little twinges of stiffness and discomfort from them again, but not bad enough that I've had to ice. Just a warning to me to watch what I'm doing. So *for me* it seems to be directly related to how hard I'm running. That was a good idea to look at your shoes. They shouldn't be wearing unevenly. Is it possible your gait is lopsided too? That would be a double whammy. Sad My guess would be that your best bet would be to finish your rest, (ice, ibuprofin) and start - with new shoes gotten at a running store where someone analyzed your gait to make sure you had the right kind (do you overpronate, for example?) - and find a different running route. One that is reasonably level. At the very least, alternate sides of the street so that the uneven wear is affecting both sides! And meanwhile, find some good running-related material (reading, movies) to keep your spirits and interest up. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

My dogs are fast, not me

I am frustrated with the time off. It's hard, especially when right now me knee isn't bothering me. I'm definitely having an internal struggle with sitting out a week.

Robin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds like a good time to practice cross-training! Got anything you like?

My dogs are fast, not me

Woohoo! I went running again this weekend. On Saturday, did a very slow 4.5 miles in an hour just making sure I didn't I have pain. Then Sunday, I did a bit more mileage in a bit less time. My knee feels totally fine and am really glad I took the time to heal. Robin

Robin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Way cool, Robin! I'm so glad! I'm putting myself out for a few days following my HM yesterday. My right knee doesn't like to walk right now, and it thinks going up or down stairs is a reeeeeally bad idea... So I'm going to go swimming and start looking (reluctantly) into some strengthening exercises. Take it easy getting back into your running - you don't want to end up back here anytime soon! And have fun! Janell