On the Bench

Roll Call 5/21 (Read 404 times)

I can hardly believe it's true, but I guess I am really off the bench - I even told my ortho doc (well, left a message at his office!). I am not progressing as slowly as I planned and am doing more running than walking, but so far so good. I think I'm done "proving" to myself that I haven't forgotten how to run! I am paying very close attention to signals when I am not running. I can feel some slight shin splints (both) and some general aches in my hips and knees. All to be expected since I had little to no running since mid Feb. Thanks to all you guys for helping me to get through this. I plan on staying about 20 mpw, incorporating walk breaks as needed, and then just keeping it easy for the rest of the summer. Wishing all of you speedy recoveries, and I'll probably still hang out from time to time to see how everyone is doing. Thanks again! Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Cheryl, You're leaving us? I wonder if that Eric fellow can add a feature that prevents someone from leaving the group... That's good news! As for me, I'm still a pain in the behind. PT is in two weeks. Until then, I'll just have to deal with it.
        That's the GREATEST news ever! So happy for you Cheryl!!! (Ok, now I can make that premature post in the locker room official! LOL....although I'll just leave it! Wink ) Congrats!!!
          Cheryl, that is fabulous news! Big grin We are going to miss you OTB. I am also taking some steps away from the bench. They are tenative steps, since I *still* haven't gotten insurance approval for the MRI so I don't know that I will be off the bench for sure, but for now I am feeling OK. Any activity over 30 mintues starts to cause some mild pain in my toes, so for now I'm keeping my runs short and easy and I'm planning to hold my milage around 15 mpw with a little swimming and biking thrown in. I am also having some shin splints on returning to running. I think the hardest thing for me is that I have lost a lot of cardio endurance. When I tried to start running again in March (after 3 months off) it was fine, my pace was good and it didn't feel hard. Then I took April off and now I am SO slow and I feel like I have lost some motivation to push myself. For now I'm just going to focus on building back endurance with slow runs and run/walks.. slow and steady wins the race, right??
            good news: I finally (20 days after the request) got approval for my MRI from my insurance company! I got an appt for Friday. Abba, question for you (if you don't mind): the receptionist argued that there is no need for an MRI with and without contrast (which is what my doctor ordered) since I have pain and "contrast won't help show anything that causes pain, only masses". I told her I have already had a regular MRI and that my doctor ordered this one with contrast to get a better description of what is going on. She said it's up to the radiologist if he thinks it's necessary or not. Is there anything I can say at the appointment to make sure they do it the way my doctor ordered? I would think they should be doing what is on the prescription, so maybe the receptionist was just giving me her opinion.
              Great news Shaunna! I hope it finds something that explains your pain and is easily treatable!!! I have no idea if Tarsal Tunnel shows up on MRI (didnt you ask that at some point?) - I know you can do electrical conduction studies for it, but I know very very little about it. It may be worth asking your doctor about if you look it up and think it sounds like it could be you. I also have no idea about contrast vs non-contrast MRI showing masses vs other stuff. I would probably say if they try to just do non-contrast that you want to talk to the radiologist first and say you really want him to at least call your orthopedist (or whoever ordered it) before getting it because you have already had the non-contrasted and want to make sure this one tells you what you need to know.
                thank you!!!
                  thank you!!!
                  I wish I could actually have said something that was helpful! Why dont they teach us useful things in med school?

Finished!

Hi All Smile I got my new Ortho devices yesterday - they are in a new pair of shoes (same model as my other pair) - I flipped the "old favorites" over to have a look at the tread compared to the new ones....and I have to say there is a lot more worn off than I thought there should have been for such low mileage. I must be hard on my shoes. Anyhow, I'm in the process of "re-doing" C25k to see if I can build back up to more constant running, though I'm trying to be better about xtraining with bike/stepmill/elliptical and weights to see if that helps prevent recurrance of the awful shin splints. I still feel weakness and occasional pain in one ankle (even though I have done no running at all for the last 2 weeks) and am still working on trying to strengthen my ankles (though without the use of any additional toys like a bosu ball or balance board).
                    Walk + Jog = wog.
                    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry