On the Bench

Fractured 5th Metatarsal (Read 326 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

So, I was working out at the gym with my trainer about 10 days ago.  We were doing lateral jumps and when I landed, I felt a "POP" in my left foot.  Thought it was just a weird tweak.  No pain, so I finished the workout.  Ran 8 miles on Saturday and when I finished, my foot hurt, but not too bad. 

Monday October 5 I went to the sports doc and it turns out I sheared off the end of my 5th metatarsal near my ankle.  She put me in a boot, but by Thursday, it was still a little painful when I walked, so they put me in a hard cast.  The cast while inconvenient felt great.

Now, I wake up today and was stretching in bed and boom - major pain in the foot.  More pain than when I broke it and was running and walking on it.  So, I'm off to the orthopedic doc to see what's up.

I'm afraid that my original 6-8 week healing time is about to be lengthened.  I'm missing 7 races this fall/winter because of this and am depressed and frustrated.  Hopefully, it won't be all bad news at the doctor's this morning.

I hope everyone else is healing up!

Robin

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hey Robin,

Hope the doc appointment went well and no other issues.  My injury was to 3rd metatarsal and like you didn't really feel it the 2nd time either.  First time I remember a "pop" but then a foot cramp followed so can't really compare.  Yeah I had 2 SF's, the second took longer to heal.  And now I am slowly adding mileage after I lost the summer running.  All I can say is take it easy and heal.  Once you get cast off maybe some swimming or bicycling - low impact stuff to train.  Hang in there.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

My dogs are fast, not me

Thanks, Joe.  Unfortunately, it was bad news.  I have another fracture in the bone!  Apparently, when I stretched, the tendon rolled over the bone and broke another piece of it off.  The ortho says it's rare but does happen and the x-rays showed an additional fracture from the film from 11 days ago.  She is guessing the bone was already stressed from the original break.  It's really hurting, too.  Much more than the original injury.

So, I have a new pretty pink cast.  A bit flashy but I may as well have fun with it, right?

Robin

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

So, I have a new pretty pink cast.  A bit flashy but I may as well have fun with it, right?

I heard pink is this season's color for casts this year.  Very stylish.   Sorry to hear about the second break.  Not something you want to have happen.  Hopefully now that foot is in cast and supported, pain will diminish somewhat and healing can commence.  Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Joe Suder

My dogs are fast, not me

So, I had a follow up today and got my cast off!  I'm back in a boot for the next probably 4 weeks but after that cast, it's a total relief.  I can shower again!!!

Robin

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

So, I had a follow up today and got my cast off!  I'm back in a boot for the next probably 4 weeks but after that cast, it's a total relief.  I can shower again!!!

Sometime it is too easy...  {Humor - a difficult concept.}

Joe Suder

My dogs are fast, not me

Update - Went back to Ortho today and got re-x-rayed.  I still have some pain when I push off and am in my boot for the next two weeks.  I start PT tomorrow to try to get some strength back into my foot and to address some tendon issues that have been identified. 

On the bright side, it is feeling better and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Robin

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hey Robin,

Great news.  Before you hit the road you may want to check out this website.  I just finished it.

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml

Joe Suder

My dogs are fast, not me

So, I've been out of my boot about 10 days.  I've started back easy.  5 minute walking warm ups with run/walk segments and a 5 minute cool down.  So far, I've managed a whoping 2.3 mile work out in 30 minutes!!  Other than some residual stiffness in my ankle from being casted/booted for so long, I'm pain free!

Just working back into it easily with my sights set on Nashville in April.

Happy healing to everyone!!

(And please fogive any typos - I had PRK surgery on Thursday and my vision isn't 100% yet!).

Robin

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Robin,

Great to hear that you are coming back.  I agree that as frustrating as it is to do walk/run intervals for the first few weeks, at least you are moving.  As for  2.3 miles in 30 minutes - thats less than a 15 min pace - see not as bad when you put it that way. Just remember not to push or try to get back to your old mileage & pace too quickly.   Need to build slowly to strengthen.  Good luck.

As for me, I am doing the local running club's  winter series to try and improve speed and keep motivated.  I haven't really planned anything after February. 

Joe Suder