On the Bench

Pool Running Tips (Read 575 times)

Today is busier than I thought - will post tips and sites tomorrow Smile Glad to share boring fun pool running with others Tongue - Seriously, I really can feel a difference with aerobic fitness doing this.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Try to simulate the running motion with arms and legs Maintain “pace” at same or faster than on land Pool HR will be approx 10 bts less than land running HR Keep an upright posture, pelvis tucked, abs tight Forward lean during sprints – don’t bend at the waist Do drills like high knees, butt kicks and sprints … Aim to duplicate time and intensity of your land runs Flotation device will allow you to concentrate on form, instead of keeping afloat. Strong swimmers may not need float help, but try it until you have form down Swimmers may have trouble doing the running motion instead of scissor kicking It does feel awkward at first, just keep practicing The pool is a good place to work out muscle imbalances – most exercises can be done in the pool either with the help of flotation devices/water barbells. I’ve even done “leg press” by holding on to the side of the pool, and using fins – resistance is controlled by how big the fins are and how hard/fast you push. I like to end by swimming a few laps – just to be working the muscles a little differently. I had trouble fitting into the aqua jogger at the pool so I got my own here I also have these water walkers and while they are providing too much resistance for me right now – I look forward to adding this challenge to the workouts over the next few weeks. I also have a waterproof MP3 player that really helps with the boredom of being in the pool. I got both from that site and had no problems with my order. Water shoes will help keep your foot in a plantar flex rather than dorsiflex – but I find they are adding too much resistance for me right now. I will be using them when I transition to running in a shallow pool as I start to return to impact aerobics. Here are a couple of links to sites with info/plans for water work-outs Pftzinger water running plan stength training exercises Injured runner DVD I don't have this - just thought it might be interesting. Do a search for "how to deep water run" - you will turn up lots of articles HTH p.s. - Pool Running = PR Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Thank you sooo much Cheryl!!! I know they have the belts at the gym pool, but I feel like such an idiot running in place while everyone else is doing laps. I was hoping to try out the form more in our apartment pool but the deepest point is only 5 feet, probably not enough for me (5'9"). Once I recover from this cold that has been limiting me all week, I will get out there and (try to) get over my self-consicousness. Thanks again Smile
          Shaunna - I usually go when an aquacise class is in session - they stay at the shallow end - so I have the deep end pretty much to myself.

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl, I thought of you last night as I was reading Runner's World. It claims that the MOST beneficial cross training running activity is pool running. I thought you'd be happy to know that even though you probably did already! There's a pool near us (in a hotel - they let you use it for a fee), but it's not that deep. In the article it was giving all these tips on how to run in the pool and first thing they said was move to the deep end so your feet don't touch. I thiink it's 5' deep and if I had a vest on, wondering if that'd keep me afloat enough? And then if it didn't, I wonder how just running on the bottom of the pool would work? I know when I "run" in the water at the beach (just for a workout) it feels wonderful! Do you/ did you find it awkward "balancing" or getting your form right in water where you can't touch?
              Actually - I didn't have trouble with being upright or form - but I've been accused of having an almost leaning back posture when I run. Actually if I try to lean forward when I run, it seems to hurt my back! I do find it's harder to maintain the proper pelvic tilt in the water, but that may be because of the flotation belt. The other thing I forgot to mention, is that just the tips of your shoulders should be above water. You will really notice a difference in your arms - pumping your arms against water resistance really tones them! Wish I was in Florida!

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl- What brand of waterproof MP3 player do you have? I was looking on Amazon... I don't want to spend a ton, but I still want to get something that will last and make swiming laps/aqua jogging time go by faster.
                  Here you go Shaunna - I got the 256 last year, and I just got the 512 - but I'm still using the 256 without trouble. It's just a simple flash drive. I use Rhapsody - but I can't load my songs into the player from there, I have to save to my hard drive and then I can drag and drop the music files. I've never had any trouble with leaking. The 256 is $10 cheaper, just depends on how many tunes you want to load up. H2OMan MP3

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

That is exactly the one I was looking at! It seems like the best deal for something of quality... I am going to ask for it for my birthday next week! Thanks Smile
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheryl, I found this thread through the search function. I can't run for a little while due to achilles tendonitis. I tried running on a pool treadmill today at the Y, but didn't feel like I got much out of it. I know NOTHING about pool running and haven't even seen anyone do it. How does the aqua jogger work? Are you running in place or what?? I would like to at least look like I know what I'm doing when I try it for the first time! Thanks!! Teresa
                        Hi Teresa - sorry to meet up with you here Sad I've never tried a pool treadmill - why didn't you feel like you got a workout? The aqua jogger just sits at your hips - keeps you afloat - just the tips of your shoulders should be above water. If you don't think you are getting a good workout - I would suggest getting a cheap HR monitor that you could use in the water and monitor your HR - I really felt I needed that to keep my HR at the level I wanted for the duration of my workout. It was just too easy to tire and let the water support you. I don't know too much about achilles tendonitis, so not sure if deep water running will bother you or not. Do you bike at all? That seems like it would be good cross training for the AT as well. Keep me posted and hope that helped a little Smile

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The treadmill was not motorized, just rollers covered with a rubber mat. I had to run on the balls of my feet, or I would go backwards. It was hard to get a regular motion, and I couldn't go fast. Felt more like floating. I'll try the aqua jogger - maybe I will be better at that. The doctor said pool running is OK for me. Thanks for responding! I will probably be asking you more questions. I'm the world's least coordinated person! Smile
                            Hey - anytime! I've unfortunately had a lot of experience with cross training through injury Big grin Anything I can do to help out - just ask, and good luck Smile RAM formerly known as Pool Runner Wink

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group