On the Bench

Update (Read 432 times)

Dexa scan - loss of 7.4% density in lumbar spine since last study 11 months ago - officially "osteopenic" Sad I have a bad feeling that this is going to resurrect questions about my TSH again Sad Calcium levels are still normal - my guess? Normal because it's coming from my bone and something may be interferring with calcium absorbtion. Did I mention I had to see 3 doctors before I found one willing to even order the repeat DEXA scan? They all said it wouldn't show any changes - that my last scan was "good" Angry sigh

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

oh Cheryl (((()))) that's a big loss in less than a year. What a bummer, especially if it brings attention back to your TSH when you've been feeling better lately. Undecided
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Cheryl, That just suck! What is the next step in terms of treatment?
          ((((((((((Cheryl))))))))))

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Cheryl - go find a good rheumatologist or endocrinologist who treat this regularly. Sorry about the news. Cry Cry {{{{{{{{Cheryl}}}}}}}}
              Treatment? Impact exercise to stimulate bone regeneration Roll eyes I am on a waiting list to see an endocrinologist who recently started doing work with osteoporosis. In the meantime, I am taking a hard look at my nutrition, and starting my walking program. I am tired of sitting around waiting for the go ahead from people who are afraid to tell me it's OK. My leg feels solid, I think most of the pain I have now is muscular. I plan on walking for several weeks. By that time, I will have my 12 week x-rays back and anticipate that I will get the big OK to resume a running program - but it will be a very slooooooow progression. It would be in any case since I have lost my aerobic conditioning, and my leg muscles have a significant amount of atrophy Sad. I'm told muscle has memory, and so I hope that my leg muscles have not developed alzheimers, and will get back to their pre-injury level with the increased activity. In the meantime, I am working hard at building my upper body,core strength and getting to my goal weight without compromising any further muscle loss - not so easy to do...

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Treatment? Impact exercise to stimulate bone regeneration Roll eyes
                That doesn't sound right... Wait. A. Minute! You were being sarcastic there, weren't you? Yes. The eye roll emoticon says so. Oh Cheryl you! I don't know much about this muscle memory thing. Sure it may remember how to propel you forward efficiently, but if you've lost your aerobic capacity, your muscles won't be able to keep up with what you want to do. I think a better way of thinking about it is you have brain memory, that you remember what it was like to be running great, and you know how to presevere so you can get back to where you were sooner than someone that has just started running. I don't know of any other exercises other than running. I can bike until my legs turn into jello and my heart would still not get a decent workout. I guess there's pool running but how effective is that? Anyway, I'm sure you have more experience with cross training than me, so all I can say is, hang in there! Lame, very.
                  Eric - seriously, the treatment is impact exercise - biking does not provide enough stimulus, but walking and strength training does. I really feel that this is due to altered calcium metabolism. I also no longer have calcitonin which helps modulate calcium absorbtion - calcitonin comes from the thyroid gland..... I'm doing what I can, but yes, until these other issues are resolved, it would not be wise to start running. The muscle memory refers to muscle size. At least walking will start getting my muscles and tendons ready for running.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl, Not having a medical background I don't understand a word you said.....Sorry! So at least I think I do understand that you are walking? Confused Thinking of you! ((((HUGS))))

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Hi Gayle! Thanks for thinking of me Smile Yes, I am walking - aggressively - so far so good. Pushed the envelope tonight and will see if I provoked anything. I want some decent feedback to take to my appointment on Friday.

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

I want some decent feedback to take to my appointment on Friday.
                        And? Feedback? Hoping it went well for you.

Good news! My leg shows a mature callus = fully healed. I have been cleared to resume all activities without restrictions. Bad News - despite biking and cross training, I have major quad atrophy. I have been having knee pain post walking and the doc thinks it's coming from that. I don't think it would have been as much of an issue if I had been able to do pool running, but I just wasn't able to do that this time. Good News - I'm being smart - I think. I see no point in pushing the running until I get my quads back up to speed, so, I will content myself with aggressive walking with just minutes of running thrown in, I've started upping the resistance on my bike, I will start adding more weight to the leg press, and start doing more elliptical at higher crossramps. I've also upped my vitamin D, although I'm not sure how long it will take for levels to come up. This may well be my last shot at this, I am not going to blow it.

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl, that is FANTASTIC news!!!
                              Happy! Happy! Dance! That's GREAT! Worth repeating!!!!.......fully healed. I have been cleared to resume all activities without restrictions. So GLAD to hear that! Big grin Big grin

Blush - Thanks, guys. You have no idea how much your support means to me. Smile MTA: I discussed bone loading with the ortho - he agreed - biking will not cut it to encourage bone mass. He saw no reason why I couldn't return to running, but that I needed to pay attention if I ever felt any kind of "deep" pain - I guess that means all the other pains are OK Tongue He still wants me to do the gait analysis and have a little help with the quad strengthening stuff - so I will be going to PT for that, although I will be going to a different therapist this time.

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group