On the Bench

Stress Fracture (Read 281 times)

Seems like I am joining the club - turns out my "tendonitis" which was supposed to heal itself after 2 weeks of rest is actually a femoral neck stress fracture. So I will be out longer than I had hoped. How am I supposed to get through a surgical rotation on crutches? I think I am starting on ortho the beginning of April, which seems quite ironic now.
      How do you think it happened? Are those pretty common fracture sites?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

oh no!!! i'm so sorry to hear that. At least during ortho you will be able to realte to all those patients that are suffering.... How long are you on crutches? Are they doing a full cast or a removable boot?
          I am always much happier about being empathetic in my relations without completely understanding what the patient is going through. I mean, crutches suck - do you actually have to use them to figure that out? Femoral neck (the hip area of the thigh), so no boot or cast. Its not a common fracture site, but it is common enough in runners. As for the how, thats kind of a mystery. I didnt do anything "wrong" - didnt increase miles, intensity, hills, etc. I had relatively new shoes (I started hurting in Jan, bought the same model of my retired running shoes in Dec which have\had ~60 miles on them.) The sports med doc offered to go over the MRI on Tuesday, so I assume we will discuss the plan more (crutches for how long, preventing future stress fractures, etc).

Now that was a bath...

Oh no! This is one forum that we don't like people to be joining and it looks like you are in for the long haul too. I am 10 weeks post (probable) fracture now. Get my MRI some time in the next week I think. I am actually hoping that they find a fracture because if they do, I am well into my recovery period and the end will be in sight. If they don't find one - I will be horrified as I will be back to mark one. Speedy healing and let's hope that are back on the roads really soon. Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
              Yeah, this has been going on since mid Jan for me too....I had a feeling thats what this was when I went for the MRI, but I also felt like I was just being overly worried and over interpretting my symptoms. So I hope whatever you have heals soon, Claire!

My dogs are fast, not me

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you won't be on crutches for too long!! Robin

Robin

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Welcome to the club! Ok, not really. Sorry hear about it. On the bright side, you can always practice on yourself in ortho :-)
                    So why is it that no one believes me when I tell them that I wasnt running that many miles??? I really wasnt!!!! Roll eyes One of the surgeons today asked if I had already started an SSRI (anti-depressant) - yes, he runs way more miles than I was, and he said that is a huge decrease for him. I guess I have lost all credibility. Shy So the worst part of crutches in the hospital: everyone thinks I am an invalid! Evidently being on crutches means that I am not allowed to participate in surgery. FYI - participate means washing your hands really well and wearing sterile gloves and a gown, retracing (holding things out of the way), suctioning (sucking up blood or fluid or whatever), cutting sutures after the knots are tied, etc. Its not that exciting, but you get to stand close and you can hear and see what is going on. Sitting in the corner is so boring! That and my class-mate has to cover my share of the work, which he is totally cool about, but I think it is totally unfair for his sake! That doesnt even include the list of stuff that is nearly impossible to do on crutches - like getting a glass of water for myself, or carrying a notebook next-door for a lecture. (Yes, I have a back-pack.) Even thinking about laundry or grocery-shopping is overwhelming. Who needs clean socks??? Its so weird that on Friday I had exactly the same injury but without a diagnosis and crutches. Today I have crutches and a diagnosis and I hop by a nursing station and they all start feeling bad for me. OK, enough whining. People are being really helpful, I just hate having to ask for someone to go fill a water-bottle for me because I cant do it. Or having to explain over and over "I didnt do anything fun this weekend and I dont know how long I am stuck on crutches." The best response I got: so just what were you doing to get a stress-fx in your hip! Running, thats what you guys call it these days. Big grin
                      So - how many miles were you running? Big grin Seriously - are you being worked up to see if there was something else going on that might have contributed - or is it just a case of bad luck?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

So - how many miles were you running? Big grin Seriously - are you being worked up to see if there was something else going on that might have contributed - or is it just a case of bad luck?
                        12-15 a week. Which I did not increase in any way. (Miles, speed, hills, whatever). I am going to talk to my sports med doc tomorrow and will ask about it. I think its more a case of bad luck.