On the Bench

Checkin - Apr 17 (Read 385 times)

I would think it would be better to be up front about it, rather than have him just find out. Have any idea how he will handle it? Do you still want to work with him? He may even think it's a good idea! I was struggling with this issue as well. I think I am going to have to get a 2nd opinion from a thyroidologist - it will mean going out of state - so I have been trying to put it off. I do respect my endo and would want to continue to work with her,but she has no explanation for why my body is reacting this way, and no other patients "like" me. She had me go to 2 different ENT's for surgical 2nd opinions, so I hope she won't have a problem.I am still nervous about bringing it up, though!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I would think it would be better to be up front about it, rather than have him just find out. Have any idea how he will handle it? Do you still want to work with him? He may even think it's a good idea! I was struggling with this issue as well. I think I am going to have to get a 2nd opinion from a thyroidologist - it will mean going out of state - so I have been trying to put it off. I do respect my endo and would want to continue to work with her,but she has no explanation for why my body is reacting this way, and no other patients "like" me. She had me go to 2 different ENT's for surgical 2nd opinions, so I hope she won't have a problem.I am still nervous about bringing it up, though!
      I think I will just reply to his e-mail saying that I hadnt heard back and it was getting worse, interfering with my rotation, and I was concerned. So when one of the attendings I was working with offerred to to set me up with someone for a second opinion it seemed like a good idea to me....I dont know if I want to work with him in the future. I am sort of pissed at him (I think a lot of it is honestly "transference" - this is a crappy injury which I am annoyed at so I get annoyed at him) and dont totally like the way he is managing it. But I dont know - part of it depends on what the orthopod has to say this week. If I were you, I would just tell her you want a second opinion because you are still having trouble. Most doctors are totally happy to recommend someone - if she is any good, she should be confident enough to know that what she is offerring is appropriate, even if it isnt working, and while the second opinion might have other recommendations, he or she will probably respect her decisions. (Remember - medicine is an art! There is no perfect approact to a problem, and there are many different appropriate treatments.) Easy to say when it isnt me telling my doctor I dont want to see him anymore, huh! Wink
        OK - I e-mailed him and basically said that I was getting worse, it was interfering with school, I hadnt heard back, and I was concerned. One of the attendings offered (insisted?) to call someone for me who agreed to see me. Of course, now that I have an appt, it will probably start imrpoving - dont things always get better between scheduling and having an appt? I feel better and think it was the right thing to do. If I ever see him again, her note will pop up in my chart....
          I think that sounds great - it was a good approach. Your advice helps me too . BTW, I not only respect my endo's opinion, I also like her as a person, and I agree that medicine is an "art". The all about us thread! Tomorrow we can start fresh! Good luck with that appointment. Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

I think that sounds great - it was a good approach. Your advice helps me too . BTW, I not only respect my endo's opinion, I also like her as a person, and I agree that medicine is an "art". The all about us thread! Tomorrow we can start fresh! Good luck with that appointment. Smile
            My doctors nice enough, I just dont agree with a lot of his decisions. There are so many ways to skin the cat - just he and I start on different sides of the cat. Wink I find e-mailing to be a much easier way to ask questions you are worried about - then you can phrase things to be very PC. I once asked a doctor for who he recommended I see as a second opinion (actually, slightly different field\approach, but treating the same thing) and that worked really well - I didnt feel like I was going behind his back, and he agreed that it was a good idea. So guess what I am doing as we speak? Laundry! I know, so much for following advice. But its been 2 weeks and no one I know is around to help me. And its much harder to be compliant when you dont believe that it is helping. (ie, crutches are a pain in the ass and since I have been on them I have gotten worse. My conclusion - quit doing the pain in the ass thing and ditch the crutches!) I am now going to finally finish up a paper. I need to get it out so I can have it published before I apply for jobs.
              My broken tibia's healed, find out the results of my knee MRI on Tuesday. I don't care what's wrong with it, i just want to know how to fix it. I've been going stir crazy with no real running for the last few weeks and being unable to remember the last time I ran pain free. No
                Yeah about the healed tibia!! One less thing to worry about! Good luck with the MRI - hope you get some positive info there - those unknown diagnosis are the worst. Nice to meet you Smile

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

I got an e-mail back - 2 sentences. "no problem. who are you seeing?" Cool
                    hope I get the same response Big grin

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group