On the Bench

Generic drugs and side effects (Read 322 times)

Anyone get worse side effects from generics? I messaged my doctor that I wanted to try name-brand lortab since it is making my pretty nauseous\dizzy\light-headed and I got a message back from her nurse saying that its the same medicine and those are all side-effects of the drug and I should take half a pill or take it with food. Gee, thanks. Like I didnt know that. It seems like its worth trying the name-brand. I know when I took a generic Z-Pack I got a much worse upset stomach than the name-brand. (Of course, that could just be a coincidence!) So do I message back asking again or just suck it up and deal with it?
      Here's my cent and a half. That's more than I actually know about the subject, but I DO know that when I switched to a generic Synthroid, it was different! Gave it a very good chance and then went back to spending extra money for the name brand. No one's going to take care of me better than myself, so if I thought there was possibly another way I could be more comfortable, I'd give 'er a whirl no matter what type of difficult time someone gave me. Everyone's body reacts differently to the same things, too, so maybe brand X would work better than Y because of that one little ingredient in the outer coating of the pill. Never know! Smile
        I was given Lopressor as a generic substitute for Toprol XL - big mistake - dumped my BP big time, but had no problems with the Toprol XL - delivery system can make a big difference - I would message back. BTW - it was for a pvc issue, thanks to running, don't need that stuff anymore TG!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Finished!

There are some generics I can't use - like albuterol - of course, albuterol is ancient as far as medicines go and getting my hand on a branded version can sometimes be difficult, but I demanded it from my pharmacist saying that I can't keep the generic stuff "down" long enough for it to do any good. I'd take a puff, hold my breath for all of a second and would have to cough. IF your doc won't switch, you may want to ask your pharmacist what your options are...
          Walk + Jog = wog.
          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry