On the Bench

Almost ready! (Read 110 times)

My foot is feeling better and better. Sunday will mark 2 weeks out of the air cast and I have been feeling good - not 100% but maybe 90-95%. I'm wearing regular shoes (not heels). I've been mixing up my workouts between cycling and the elliptical. I think the elliptical helps to re-strengthen the muscles in the foot. I feel fantastic in the running shoes. So my question is, what was it like getting back to running? I see the doctor on Wednesday and I'll get his okay, but frankly, I'm scared. I don't want any sort of setback at this point. What should I watch out for? Thanks everyone! I hope you are all doing well!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hey Ruth,

Great news...going back is scary.  Every step causes some worry.  Use the Pfitz work-out and stick to it is all I can say.  The schedule starts out with walk-runs which are more walking than running.  It gradually builds up to running.  After first few weeks you may be tempted to skip as you run more but I would recommend sticking it out till end of schedule.  I also learned after Pfitz all the training errors I was doing. 

Now I try to keep to a schedule with rest days [for cross training] and varying types of runs -even when not training for a race.   I also observe the 10% weekly mileage rule as well  with fall back weeks in mileage.  In addition, I always try  to stretch afterwards since muscles in leg can affect how the foot lands and pushes off and vice versa.  I also retired the shoes/type that I was wearing when SF happenned.   

Good luck!Big grin

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum