On the Bench

Mile Collector and Abba Gimp ... paging Abba Gimp (Read 464 times)

Along for the Ride

How are you guys doing? We haven't heard a thing from Abba? Are you getting better? I hope you're improving - baby steps would still be steps and eventually lead to running. Mike, how is your back? I was doing my core strength exercises tonight (haven't done them in a long time) and thought of your back issues. Any improvements?

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hi Gabe! Thanks for checking in on us. It sure has been quiet around here ever since Gimpy is not gimpy anymore. My rear end has been feeling a little better. Gone is most of the pain, although my leg still goes numb every so often in the car. I was quite depressed last week. The PTA told me that I have a very serious injury. She used a rather grave tone to instill a sense of hopelessness in me. She said that eventually, I might stop running on my own because the pain will become unbearable. It wasn't the pain that got me down. I'll just have to deal with it if my condition ever get there. The thought of not being able to run that scares me. It's sad, but I define myself as a runner (or jogger these days) before anything else. I don't know what life will be like without running. At least I can still run a few miles every other day and I cherish every step of it. I hope that it can be controlled. Boy, that was one depressing post. How's this to liven it up a bit? One of the exercises I have to do is sit on the exercise ball and rotate my hips like I have an imaginary hula hoop around my waist. The idea is to activate the muscles so they can better support the spine. The first couple of times I did it, my hips just won't move. It did help that my therapist was showing off her moves on the ball next to me. At least I got the excuse of being a guy and the hips ain't suppose to move that way, unless you're Ricky Martin. The rotation is much smoother now. It doesn't have the same flare as Shakira, but then I ain't got her hips either. Oh how I would love her hips Big grin It's like buying a car cigarette lighter, and a car is thrown in with the deal Big grin Bad analogy? A part of me thinks that the reduced pain is coincidental. I noticed that when I was in Florida, the pain was virtual gone. It came back the very next day that I came back to Boston. It could also be weather related to the barometric pressure. The weather has been real nice lately. Whatever it is, I don't want to believe that it's the therapy because I don't want to be disappointed if it worsens. Well, that's me in a nutshell. Eric <-- not mike. i don't know why people here call me that. maybe because i don't broadcast my name often :d not="" mike.="" i="" don't="" know="" why="" people="" here="" call="" me="" that.="" maybe="" because="" i="" don't="" broadcast="" my="" name="" often=""></-- not mike. i don't know why people here call me that. maybe because i don't broadcast my name often :d>
        Eric <-- not="" "mike"=""></-->
        Oops! I'll try to remember that in the future Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Eric <-- not="" mike.="" i="" don't="" know="" why="" people="" here="" call="" me="" that.="" maybe="" because="" i="" don't="" broadcast="" my="" name="" often=""></-->
          Maybe thats because your screen name looks like Mike collector???
          Hi Gabe! Thanks for checking in on us. It sure has been quiet around here ever since Gimpy is not gimpy anymore.
          Are you talking about me? Because maybe you should have a little talk with my hip about being gimpy. Or my surgeon. I think the problem is she must have let a student put the nail in. I can just hear it "A little more to the right, a little left. OK, now forward, now more right. OK. Thats close enough." Wink
            Abby! You've been missed! I have been wondering about you as well. The hip is still bad? How did school end up? When do you go abroad? Ok - enough questions. Just glad you are still around Smile "Waves hand" just wanted to say Hi to everyone and wish you all speedy recoveries. It's been awful quiet in here, must be the whiners (looking at self in mirror) have recovered Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Happy 4th everyone! Eric - I bet your therapy is helping! Though a lot of people feel like the weather has a huge effect on them. And, though I am hoping against it, I wouldnt be surprised if you had some setbacks. It is totally normal to have good days and bad days. I just hope you have way more good ones than bad, and I hope both get better (ie even the bad ones arent so bad.) As for me, we arent talking about the hip. Unless you guys want to hear it. But something tells me you have heard more than you want to know already! My prediction, which some of the orthopedic surgeons I am working on think is pretty good, is in about 8-10 weeks I will notice one day that my hip isnt bugging me. It will be like "hey, I havent hurt in a while." That, of course, ties into school and abroad plans - I am done with general surgery (last Friday) and am now making up 2 weeks of ortho. (And I hate to admit I am liking it more than I wanted to.....sigh.) I finish next Friday (the 13th or so), head back to DC for a week around the 20th, and then if I can get plane tickets (yes, I am still having trouble with that!!!) I am heading to Israel around August 1st. Off for a nap before celebrating the 4th. I thought I was going to be home early today, but evidently noon is early - which doesnt feel that way when you get in at 6 AM on a holiday. Oh well.

Along for the Ride

Hi Eric (sorry about "Miking you" Smile) Yes, your post started out a bit depressing, but I know exactly what you are feeling. Your PT is right, you do have a very serious injury.That's the first mental block you need to pass. However - it doesn't necessarily mean you will have to stop running. There is the possibility. But you also could be fine. My PT ws more upbeat and always stressed that it all depends on various things in life. The spine doc I was seeing said to me at the last visit: "Consider yourself a back-patient." And I thought "oh nooo!". We talked more and I inquired about my job and my running. Modifications needed to be made. Job - I now contribute activelyto the nursing shortage and am no longer working as a nurse. Running - I don't run every day to keep the pounding down, I try to keep my core strong and cross-train. Spine-doc said that ironically this back injury probably gave me some more years as a runner, because it forced me into cross training more. He answered "yes" to my question if I could train for and run another marathon. It really sounds like you are getting better! Any improvement is good! You have a bulged disc, that takes longer than a herniated disc. How long ago did your symptoms start? I can totally understand the scary feelings and "what if's" you go thru with a back injury. Have been there and revisit these feelings whenever I get symptoms again. Maybe one step in the right direction would be to pick something besides running ... perhaps you would be a great triathlete? The biking and swimming are great exercise and you can still compete! Then you are armed with a strategy IF you get worse and can't run. But then again - nobody can predict that. Also, knowing that your discs have no blood supply of their own and have a high water content - make sure your nutrition is good and you hydrate well all the time. I think your body tells you what is good for you. If you feel good running, run. But be prepared to back off if things get worse. Just to start again once they get better. I had the hardest time coming to terms that one of my patients changed my life and caused me, her care taker, harm by being obese. I know she didn't choose to hurt me consciously and is not obese by choice. However, I didn't have the choice to just let her fall off the bed ... There was a lot of anger in me. I sort of accepted that my back will not quite be the same again. I am thankful for every good day I get ( a lot right now). I try to keep in mind that it could turn as well ... somehow I need to have some strategies ready for that. Keep doing what you're doing!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Wow! I had an awesome weekend in terms of the pain. I drove to NYC this weekend for the annual family cookout. I was somewhat dreading the ride down because my right leg usually goes numb or tinkly minutes after I get the car. The 4+ hours of in the car would not be pleasant, or so I thought. I adjusted the tilt on the seat the day before so that it holds my behind in a different orientation. The ride down was pretty much a non-event other than getting stuck in traffic for about 20 minutes when I got to NYC. There was no pain for the entire weekend. My butt and other parts of my legs were sore from table tennis. Who knew that ping pong requires different muscles? Anyway, that was muscle soreness, the kind I haven't felt for months and that made me feel good. I felt as if I didn't have the injury at all this weekend and it was wonderful! Now I need to figure how what made my pain go away and keep doing that... Gabe: thanks for the note. Sorry to hear that you're injured at work. At least I did this to myself and have no one to blame. I suppose I can blame my parents for not giving me the good healthy genes :-) Seriously though, I'm not bummed by the injury itself, just the possibility of not running. How long ago did it happen for you? I don't have an exact date for me. It did came on as sciatica back in December and I wasn't doing any lifting when it happened either. I was out running and it came on suddenly after mile 9. How is your back doing now?