On the Bench

Scope Recovery (Read 442 times)

So here's a question... I recently (about a month ago) had a scope to fix a laterally torn meniscus in my left knee. I am guessing I have some scar tissue that is getting in the way for my tendons (on the right side / opposite of the torn meniscus) to fully extend. When I fully extend my leg, there is a popping like something is in the way (not initially painful, just after a days worth it gets sore). It feels like the tendon, or whatever it is, has to move around something in order to fully extend. I stretch like crazy and all other range of motion is there... The rest of my recovery is going great. It is just that by the end of the day, my leg is quite tired. Anybody have an experience like this?
      No experience with that. Will you be having anymore follow up appointments with your surgeon? If not, could you just call the office and tell them about your symptoms? Please keep us updated on anything you find out. Wishing you a continued rapid recovery Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

I do have another follow-up in 2 weeks. I guess we will see then. It's just frustrating. It is going on 5 months of no running.... Tongue
          Are you still sane Tongue Have you been doing any kind of cross training?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Yep, I started the bike after the surgery and now have crossed over to the elliptical. The last two days have been better, so here's hoping I turned the corner....
              I see you have started getting a few runs in - how is it going? Fingers crossed you Smile

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

I have started running. I have learned the hard way that my recovery is going to be quite slow! Doc told me to lower my expectations on the speed of recovery a bit. I am just glad to get a 1.5 mile run/walk in with no pain!!! YEA!
                  Yay!!!!!! That is awesome news!!!!! Cool Slow is good when it is pain free Smile Thanks for the update, glad to hear that you are making good progress.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

That's great rollo! I am having a scope on my right knee to fix a tear in my medial meniscus in a week and a half. Did you have the tear cut out or was it repaired? Your recovery is encouraging and gives me hope that I'll be on the road again soon.
                      Mine was cut out. It was a small one though. The recovery is longer than expected. Everywhere you read, they say 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't be that optimistic (I was). I am now shooting for 3 months..... I have finally turned the corner. Keep us informed of your progress and good luck!

Finished!

Rollo, glad to hear you're on your way. I've been having pain in my knee since my HM in February. First we thought it was standard ITB stuff, now it's May and I've been at PT since Mid/End March - my Doc is now sending me for an MRI to find out if I damaged the miniscus Sad
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                          Good luck with the MRI, I hope the results give you good news. I had my appt yesterday with ortho doc and he said my recovery should be pain free by now. He is ordering injections for my knee (lubricating) which is supposed to get me over the hump. We'll see, I still have to educate myself on them before a decision is made.....
                            Woodland- It's sounds like you're going though a little of what I was/am. Since my Marathon in January I have been having knee pain. At first they thought it was moderate chondromalacia and a slight deterioration of the meniscus as suggested by the MRI. After PT for the chondromalacia I was in worse pain so they thought that even though the MRI didn't show it I had a medial meniscus tear. I went in for arthoscopic surgery last week. During the surgery they found no meniscus tear and that my knee was actually in pretty good shape. The chondromalacia under the kneecap was only mild (cartilage was soft to touch but not frayed) which shouldn't affect running much. They did find some fatty tissue that shouldn't be there and removed that. The thinking is that it could have been putting pressure on the meniscus causing that pain. At first I was bummed that I had the surgery with no real results, but I'm holding on to a hope that it was just the random fatty tissue causing problems and that by removing it and with more PT I will make a full recovery/ return to running. If you did end up damaging your meniscus it might not be that bad. If you just have the tear cut out and not repaired the recovery process is similar to what I'm gong through now. Only 9 days post op and I walking almost normally (though slowly). I'm not sure what the point of sharing this was, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and not to give up. Good luck to you!

Finished!

Thanks Shaunna and Rollo. Rollo, keep us posted on those injections. As for me, I apparently just have the chondromalacia/runners knee/degradation of cartilage under kneecap due to the fact that my patella apparently doesn't track right. The good news is no miniscus damage observed in the MRI. Other good news is there is still cartilage in there, I'm not worn down to the bone! I'm being referred to an ortho surgeon for a 2nd opinion. My reading says surgery just to clean up the cartilage doesn't really help this condition Sad so unless they have some other suggestion, it looks like it's just prolonged PT for me, and apparently I'm doomed to continue to have a crunchy knee Sad
                              Walk + Jog = wog.
                              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                                Well, I hope your PT does make a difference! Keep us updated on your 2nd oipinion!