On the Bench

Yet Another New Member - Stress Fracture in the Top of the Foot (Read 189 times)

This isn't exactly the forum in which one wishes to find oneself, but I hear good things about ya'll from Shadowrunner.

Was finally able to see an ortho today, and he concurred with what my primary and I figured - stress fracture.  Said he'd send me for an MRI or bone scan to get official results if I wanted, but wouldn't treat it any differently, so I opted not to spend the dinero.  I go back to him on the 15th.  If there's no improvement, then he'll order up a scan or MRI.

He had me stand on my toes and on my heels, which I did with no problem, but now it's achy.  He was happy I was able to do both of those without pain.  He also noticed that my injured foot is dark than the other one, which I had noticed, too.  Said it's because of nerve damage.  Recommended contrast baths 2 or 3 times a day, and taking a soft loofah or paint brush and brushing the top of the foot to help the nerves wake up/heal.  Interesting.  Those of you with foot fetishes would probably like that one.   I'll have to ask The Hub to bring home a couple of buckets that my foot will fit down into.

Two more weeks on crutches.  Stay off the foot as much as possible.  I CAN do my stationary biking so long as I don't have it cranked down to the toughest gear.  No weight-bearing at all. He also suggested swimming, so I'm going to go and chat up the folks at CalCourts re pool running.  Our office pays for people to be members.  NICE!

Funny:  He said something - I can't remember what - and I told him I'll do anything he wants me to,  I just want this to heal.  He said, "Well, good.  Sometimes runners are like heroin addicts.  (rubs hand across face) They refuse to stop running no matter what." Big grin  He did, however, say he thought running was good for you because it helps build stronger bones.  He also said this may be an indication that I might not be able to go the longer distances, we'll just have to see.  I asked him if that meant I couldn't do a 100-miler like I've had pricking at the far reaches of my subconscious.  He just smiled at me.

Anyway - There you are.  Hopefully, in a couple of weeks I'll be able to start putting weight on it again.  We'll see . . . .

I finally canceled all my reservations for my 50-mile trail run at the end of April.  Cry

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Welcome, welcome!  Always sad to see new members but this is where you can get lots of advice and support.  I bet at this time you are suffering some major withdrawal.  I know I was.  Shadowrunner recommended this place to me too and it was very helpful.  Especially to give perspective and to create the voice in your head that keeps you from getting back too soon and too hard. 

My doc was the same as yours - the physical examination was all he needed.  I got it checked with a bone scan because it seemed to me that it was taking a long time to heal.  I kept hearing numbers like 6 to 8 weeks and at those times I certainly wasn't feeling any better so thought there was sometihing wrong.   I just took longer to heal that's all.

I kept up my fitness level with the stationary bike.  I could do pool-running but that was inconvenient.

Let us know how you're doing.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I did an hour of pool running today.  It was as exhilarating as watching paint dry, but without the benefit of sniffing the paint fumes.  It took a minute or two to get used to it, but soon I was motoring around that deep end like a snail on speed!

And it's quite the arm workout.  Between the pool running and the crutches, my arms are thoroughly pooped right now.  However, I'm quite sure that my the end of all this, I should have quite the buff shoulders, biceps, and forearms. Wink

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Not the only one on rehab this week, Leslie.  Decided to re-think starting Pfitzinger program after reading it this morning.  Recomends rest if pain occurs in area of injury and I had can't deny there was some there on Saturday.  So my brave face on Saturday with plans to run today are off.  Only painful part is supposed to be mid 70F's today so will miss a shirtless running day. Cry  But I am planning on hitting the weights and elliptical today.  So crosstraining to be in shape for next shirtless running day.

Hey Ruth, glad to hear things are going well.  I sort of injured my foot again with a pair of new shoes and long runs.  Not an SF but definitely a bruise or strain in the same area.  So entering my 3rd week in the walking wounded.  I hope to try again next weekend to see if things improve.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I walked about a mile at work a few days ago with no real discomfort/pain.  So I am going to try walk/run dreadmill today.  Walk 10, run 5, walk 5, and then run 5 - Pfitz prgm.  Probably very slow treadmill work-out.  Maybe follow with some free-weights and/or elliptical.  Need to get some aerobic work somehow.  

Hope I don't jinx myself by posting plans....Wink 

update:  I did jinx myself...stuck here at work still and have an hour commute...maybe tomorrow....Cry

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

I did a bit of outside running.  Trying to find soft spots to run in.  My new shoes are pretty good (Saucony Omni 9s) .  Jog/walked 5/1s x 6.  Feels okay but I cannot speed up - it immediately starts to feel wrong. 

My foot swells (mostly at the ankle) after my workout and I'm icing my foot afterwards. I think the key is to leave time for recovery.  I am doing lots of stretching and I'm thinking of getting some minimalist shoes to strengthen my feet.

Have a great day guys!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.