On the Bench

Broken Foot Blues (Read 195 times)

It's been just over 2 months since I fractured my foot from pushing myself too hard (for lack of any kind of explanation from the doctor, anyway). I wasn't supposed to start running again until last week, but I had to try 3 weeks ago. Just did 1 mile and then took another week off. Then 3 miles and another week off. Last week was 4 miles and unfortunately, my foot hasn't felt right since. Black eye I'm a glutton for punishment so I ran another 3 miles yesterday, have softball practice tonight and will try running again either tomorrow or Thursday. The thought of taking any more time off is really getting to me but I think I'm forcing myself to come back sooner than my foot is ready to. I don't know what else to do, though! I'm not supposed to see my podiatrist again unless I'm having additional problems. I have a feeling I'll be calling to make an appointment sometime within the next week or two. I've just become stir crazy from the few nice days we had a couple of weeks ago... there were runners everywhere! The other things contributing to my problem are the 1000 mile goal I set for myself this year (which continues to slip away with each passing day) and the store team I joined to represent locally. I wish I could say that someone could talk some sense into me, but I have a feeling I'm gonna keep going until I can't go any more and then I'll either need surgery or just a lot more time off. Dead
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Is there such a thing as a running addiction? I mean, people can be addicted to alcohol, to drugs, and reading everything that Claire writes. There are support groups for pretty much everything and they always say that recognizing the problem is the first step to recovery. On a related note, I'm a big fan of insurance. I got insurance for my car (in case of accidents), my apartment (in case of fire), short term health, long term disability, and life insurance. I take glucosamine to save my knees, fresh fruits and vegables for anti-oxidant goodness, and other vehicles that I hedge my bets with. It's all about reducing risk. In the case of running, it's reducing the chance that I won't ever run again. Runners run, and that's how I identify myself. If I can't run again, I'll be losing a big part of my life. You'll have to decide what's more important to you. Would you hedge your bets by taking some time off to let your body heal with the hopes of not having an extended down time, or go for the instant gratification with the possibility of being out for the count? I was offered an official Boston Marathon number earlier this year but turned it down because I was in no condition to train. It was a hard decision, worse than breaking up with my imaginary girlfriend with a PhD in nuclear physics who also happens to be a super model. It was also the right decision (in regards to turning down the number). I can run in the marathon and be out for a year, or suck it up now and run all future Boston Marathons. It's a tough decision and you'll have to decide what's best for you.
        I know you're completely right in that time off or moderation now will help to keep the worst from happening but I can't seem to convince myself to actually do it. I've never been good at letting things heal before trying to go at it again... from the time I broke my hand and took my cast off a week later to play volleyball on spring break to the most recent injury where I stopped wearing my boot and started running (both of which were slightly before the doctor recommended doing so). If the pain continues or becomes worse as I go on, I'll definitely admit to defeat, go back to the doctor and start wearing the boot again. I'm also ready to stop playing softball if necessary even though I'm the one that runs the team. Sad In truth, part of me wonders whether the pains in my foot are the bone itself or if they're from the adjustments I may be subconsciously making to my stride and the way I'm landing to keep from further injuring it.
          Running is an addiction - our brains get wired to expect that endorphin rush. However - if you continue to re-injure the same site, are you really any better off? It is really hard especially when you feel that you are 'better" - the fact that you have to take a week off between runs says you're not quite there yet. When my doc told me that if my leg did not show progress, that I would need a pin - I felt physically ill - not just at the thought of another surgery, but at the thought of 6 months healing - without even water running for a couple of months (because of the incision). I would rather take the down time now then to have to deal with a surgery. That's just the choice I am making for myself. Just know - there are people here who really do understand your frustration - so vent away - anytime. We are here for you Smile BTW - If you are altering your gait to protect your injury, you could be setting yourself up for more trouble as muscles /tendons will try to handle a job that they are not built for. I am now dealing with a 1" muscle discrepancy in my legs from "guarding" my injured leg for so long - it is really hard to re-train my leg to bear equal load now that it's healing - I don't think it would have been as big a problem if I had recognized my injury sooner.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Thank you both for your feedback and encouragement. I definitely appreciate it!