On the Bench

no-running February (Read 143 times)

I decided to take all of Feb off from running, as a very easy 4 miler on 1/31 left my ITB visibly inflammed and irritated. The cycle of cause pain-recover-cause more pain isn't working for me anymore. I need a forced duration of rest to give the hip and knee a chance to heal without being aggrevated.

Now that it's been ten days of doing non-running activity, I am feeling great and itching to run, but I know I shouldn't. It stinks cause Feb is one of our best months for running, but I keep telling myself it is a short month and I can slowly start to build up again in March if I stay pain-free.

Not really looking for pity, just posting this to keep myself honest!

If there is anything that I've learned through this stuff I'm going through is to trust my instincts.  I am sure that is what you are doing in this case.  Are you doing any special stretches or physio for your IT?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

sounds like a good call, Shaunna. You are tough - it takes far more discipline to not run when you shouldn't.

How does your ITB handle biking?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

I was doing PT for all of last year and never could get the ITB under control. I'm still keeping up with hip, hamstring and glute strength exercises, and stretching daily. It still feels tight, but no pain during everyday life anymore.....finally!

ITB seems OK with biking, though hip bugs me a bit. I've been spinning, doing step classes, strength circuits, wrokout videos, etc and so far so good!

I wonder how it would handle flirty girl Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

hahaha! Actually, I will let you know. A friend and I got a pack of 5 classes at a local place on groupon and are doing the first one on the 23rd Wink

and I need to stop posting when things feel good.... I think I am jinxing myself! Yesterday my ITB got sore during and after spinning. grr....

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

and I need to stop posting when things feel good.... I think I am jinxing myself! Yesterday my ITB got sore during and after spinning. grr....

Its the RA curse! Big grin Everytime I post running or work-out plans for the next day/morning - I inevitably oversleep or something else gets in the way. .Wink 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum