On the Bench

IT pain Need HELP (Read 386 times)

This problem really has me down right now!!! Makes me wonder about the '08 HM a lot!!! The IBTS showed up last year during the walk of the Mini but as I at that time was a non runner I had no clue what it was. Then when I took up running it wouldflair up but over time the distances for the flair up was longer and longer. Now it starts at between 4 and 5 miles. So any advise is most welcomed!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

First thing you should do is reduce inflamation. That means rest, ice and possibility anti-inflamatories. The next thing you should do is stretch it. ITBS is caused by your ITB being too tight and rubbing against parts that it shouldn't. I've had ITBS before and religious stretching usually does the trick. The best method I found so far is definitely using a foam roller: Get yourself one of these and do the exact thing in the picture. Good luck!
        Thanks!! I was thinking about putting my left knee on ebay!! But who needs a 53+ year old knee that causes pain? Well I have year to next years mini and 4 month 15 days to a planned 15k to get this injury behind me

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Here's my advice: You want to figure out how far you can run without it hurting. (for example, 3 miles.) And then run _less_ than that. (continuing example: 2.5 miles) Once it starts to hurt, you have run too far. If you keep running, it will only get worse. This is true specifically for IT probs, and most overuse injuries in general. (I learned this the hard way about ten years ago from tendonitis - not due to running, but it took me forever to deal with it because I didnt stop what I was doing!) Then, gradually start to build up. If you hurt after a run or during your next run, you are building up too fast. Now, the hard part is figuring out how far and how fast. And not getting too frustrated or going too crazy The thing that made the biggest difference for me was getting new shoes. Mine only had about 200 miles or so on them, but when I took them to two different (both great!) running stores, they both said my shoes were ready to be replaced - I guess 4-5 months trumped the mileage. Though my last pair of shoes seemed to die around the same age, so maybe I just need new shoes at fewer miles than most. Must be due to my ginormous weight. Roll eyes Ice and stretching are both really good. I was told to go see a massage therapist for a sports massage, but then I was told it would hurt. Alot. So I never made it. Cross train. Work on pelvic stability - especially abductors and gluts. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
            First thing you should do is reduce inflamation. That means rest, ice and possibility anti-inflamatories. The next thing you should do is stretch it. ITBS is caused by your ITB being too tight and rubbing against parts that it shouldn't. I've had ITBS before and religious stretching usually does the trick. The best method I found so far is definitely using a foam roller: Get yourself one of these and do the exact thing in the picture. Good luck!
            Bought a Foam Roller on the way home from work this evening (They are hard to locate here) and used it for 2 or 3 minutes. First time I could really feel a stretch of teh ENTIRE IT Band!!! In another week I'll start running again. Not more than 2 miles or less than 40% of the distance where I generally start being aware of some discomfort in the knee. After not less than 2 weeks my LONG run will be 3 miles. Then careful careful careful build up from there.

I started back at 1 mile 3 times for a week. Then I increased to 1.5 M-W-F. Then I did 1.5 M-W and 2 F. Then 2 M-W-F at which point I started to hurt a bit and backed down to 1.5. So when I say slow, I meant r e a l l y r e a l l y s l o w! Yeah, it took forever. But it worked!!!
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Bought a Foam Roller on the way home from work this evening (They are hard to locate here) and used it for 2 or 3 minutes. First time I could really feel a stretch of teh ENTIRE IT Band!!! In another week I'll start running again. Not more than 2 miles or less than 40% of the distance where I generally start being aware of some discomfort in the knee. After not less than 2 weeks my LONG run will be 3 miles. Then careful careful careful build up from there.
                Just make sure that you roll along the entire length of the IT band, which goes from the top of your hip to your knee. Don't forget to BREATHE and relax the leg that you're stretching. Do that several times a day if possible, on both legs. That should fix the ITBS in a week or so. As Abby said, ease back into running.