On the Bench

new member w/ calcaneus sfx (Read 232 times)

runningmomofboys

Hi all!  Sad to say I'm joining this group.  Ran my fist marathon in Chicago on 10/11.  Whoo hoo.  Mile 21 did not agree with me -- my right foot started to ache (I thought that was weird, b/c that was the one body part that I didn't have aches/pains/tightness/injury to while training!!).  At first I thought it seemed like a stress fracture type of pain (lucky me had a metatarsal stress fracture Jan '09 in my left foot)... but then all the tendons on the side of the foot hurt -- it wasn't that focal sfx type pain.  Then I rolled my ankle on the rough roads.  I finished -- within my very conservative goal time of 4:30:00 (official time was 4:26:53!!)  but the right foot just kept hurting as I walked around Chicago the next day and when I got home.  

Doc thought I had possible torn the peroneal tendons -- weren't we surprised to find a sfx on the top of my calcaneus on the MRI.  MRI also showed the tendons inflammed -- but probably b/c they are trying to protect the fracture site.  I'm in the boot for 6 weeks -- doc says I have to be careful b/c if it fractures completely he'll need to do surgery to get the bone fragments out of the joint.  ugh.  So I'm stuck on the darn bike and aqua jogging -- both of which I despised this winter when I did them for 6+ weeks.  

I'm so annoyed b/c I take Vit D and calcium supplements, had my blood levels checked in January when I had my first sfx (they were fine then - probably are GREAT now),  normal bone density scan, normal BMI 21 (18.5 is the low end of normal), very good diet, 2 servings of caffeine a day....  what the heck?!?  AND, my marathon training program was very low mileage (peak of 35 mpw) because I also teach two high level step aerobics classes a week and one kettlebell class (minimal impact)  week --- so I was very careful of my body!!  

AND of course now I have the marathon bug and want to do a Pfitz 18/55 program for my next marathon but am worried my body won't take it -- plus it is going to take me so long to build up to that kind of mileage.  I had really been hoping to have a strong winter base of 35 mpw before even starting the Pfitz program for  a June 6 marathon!  

Whine whine whine!!!!!

Anyone else have a calcaneus sfx???  Advice, tips, support welcome!!

My dogs are fast, not me

Sorry about your injury.  No advice for your particular injury other than follow your doctor's orders and heal up quick.

Robin

runningmomofboys

Love the picture of your boot!  I'll have to take a picture of mine -- I glue-gunned different colored sparkling beads/rhinestones to it to make it more festive!!!