Chicago Marathon

2010 Registration - CLOSED (Read 211 times)

FYI, over 10,000 people registered for the 2010 Chicago Marathon on the first day that registration was opened (2/1).  That's nearly 25% of the available field.

I don't have any comparable information to compare with past years, but there is speculation that this year's race may fill faster than previous years.  Factors cited include:

• continued growing popularity of running in general
    • popularity of other major races (e.g. Boston closing earlier than ever)
    • excellent weather conditions in 2009 (breaking a 2-year streak of hot weather)
    • the date (10-10-10) being considered lucky or fortuitous in certain cultures

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

After 1 week, registration has already passed 16000.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the race sold out by mid March.  The front corrals should fill up much sooner though so if you plan on racing and you qualify for a seeded start I wouldn’t wait much longer to register.

Res firma mitescere nescit
      Running in Tampa

The marathon just sent out the following update:

Chicago Marathon Registration has Surpassed 30,000
        Registration for the 2010 Bank of America Chicago Marathon has surpassed 30,000 and is quickly approaching the participant capacity of 45,000.

If you're considering Chicago and haven't registered yet, I'd say time is getting short.  With charity spots and other reserved bibs, I'd guess that there's only about 8-9,000 registrations left.

The Chicago Marathon just issued the following news blurb:

"Registration Approaching Capacity for the 2010 Bank of America Chicago Marathon
          Less than 2,000 entries remain for the 2010 Bank of America Chicago Marathon"

In the last two years, the race has filled less than 24 hours after the capacity warning was issued.  Anyone who wants to run the 2010 Chicago Marathon (on lucky 10/10/10) would be well-advised to register immediatelyOfficial Website & Registration

As predicted, the final open registration spots were quickly filled today, and the 2010 Chicago Marathon has reached capacity.  General registration is now closed.

If you are still interested in running the 2010 race but did not register in time, limited slots may be available from qualified charities.  Check the marathon website for additional information.

Good luck to everyone racing in Chicago on 10/10/10!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

DW got in during the mad last minute dash to register.

As an aside; I'm always amazed by the the number of starters compared to the cap.  Where to >10k people go?  Are there that many people with no idea what they are signing up for?  I'd have thought that only a fraction would have signed up in case they didn't get a NYC lottery pick - perhaps not?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

DW got in during the mad last minute dash to register.

As an aside; I'm always amazed by the the number of starters compared to the cap.  Where to >10k people go?  Are there that many people with no idea what they are signing up for?  I'd have thought that only a fraction would have signed up in case they didn't get a NYC lottery pick - perhaps not?

Even more amazing: 10,000 DNS * $135 registration = $1.35 million.